Which companies are the best

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Delx37, Apr 11, 2008.

1. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa

Yes those companies are VERY SELECTIVE when it comes to who they will accept. I believe in Walmarts case they actually have a 3 stage interview process 1 of the stages includes a review in front of other senior drivers.

You should be aware though that the turn over for these 2 companies are less than 5%. That speaks to the integrity of their system. Drivers are compensated very well and have many years of experience under their belts so they are normally looking for a home.

The same can be said for many of the union carriers out there. Like it or not they do have the best pay and benefits offered (in general). There may be some exceptions (there always seems to be 1) where a small private outfit in a niche market, also goes above and beyond the call of duty to make their drivers their top priority as far as respect, pay, benefits, and hometime.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Having no actual experience (Just graduated from CDL school) I'm not going to disagree TOO strongly with Cajun and some of the others.

I agree, stay away from the big companies. I drew my line at 1000 trucks, though, not 100.

I *did* hit the truck stops, and I read a bunch on this board (and others) before making my lists.

And, while it should be essentially impossible for a newbie to get a tank job, I've been offered one that just suites me to a 'T': Driving a truck in the mountains. I discovered in school that I absolutely love it! I dunno, yet, if I've GOT the job, but don't foresee any issues.

I don't know if it happens with other schools. It probably does, but I've had a number of companies contact me - and all of them were the result of good experience with other graduates from the school.

I've wandered afield, I think.

I do that. Getting old, I guess.

Anyway - the point is, do your research. Sit down beforehand and write down your requirements. Write down your wants. Look for companies that fit them most closely. No fudging allowed!

4. CaptJack

CaptJack Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Botetourt Co., VA
    Oh hell...a rookie in the mtns....

5. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    You're too late for one bit of advice: get a grant for your training. Alliance is too expensive, in my opinion, an opinion that is shared by many. But you've already put down your deposit, so I guess it's a done deal. You probably have too many assets to qualify for a training grant anyway. You're about to pay many thousands on training that is maybe worth 10% of what you're going to pay.
    Get ready to spend lots of on-road time sitting in the bunk area watching somebody else drive. Get ready to spend 3 weeks getting your learner's permit when it could take you only a weekend of studying the manual to get it. Can you say "opportunity cost"?

It's not too late for another bit of advice, however:
    Choose your outfit carefully. Avoid those with high turnover and/or constantly must advertise for help. Look into union companies as well to see if you can get a job right out of your mill. Some will hire you. Also, aim to be among the top 5 grads in your class. Work your tail off and display a good attitude, despite the fact it IS a rip. That's the best you can do now.

6. Lurchgs

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    yup - but you left out crazy

7. trucking_on_through

trucking_on_through Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, but you have exquisite taste in Tuxedos... :biggrin_25514:

8. mannmk7

mannmk7 Medium Load Member

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    Why haul a tanker? I've read this before. Thanks.

9. mannmk7

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    I've went and talked with drivers. They seem somewhat cautious about what they say. I can't tell weither they don't know the differance from there company compared to another, or whats going on. A swift driver said he's got a detcaited run and thats ok whith him. A schneider driver said there ok and that he's been with them a couple of years. A prime driver said his company was taken over by Prime, there ok, but he was staying with them because he was retireing shorty. He refered me to another out fit in Ohio. Ya do seem to get much from the drivers. I might need somemore practice.

10. Lurchgs

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    It's a preference thing for me: Flatbed --> Tanker --> Box --> Chiller --> Wiggles

Combine that with other preferences involving size of company, where they will let me run, age of the fleet,ride along policy, pet policy, APUs, etc. Put it all in a spreadsheet and see what comes out.

11. mannmk7

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    Thanks. Saves many people from thinking in this direction at the same times implies they are something to look forward to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.