Which companies use an electric pallet jack?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by mav100, Jan 22, 2024.

1. mav100

mav100 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I'm looking into finding a local, semi local, or regional job. One of the options I've been thinking of is LTL.
    I heard that using an electric pallet jack is not too labor intensive. I'd also welcome the excersize that comes with that. I'm not in the best shape so that's why I don't think I could do food service but moving around for blood flow circulation sounds like a positive thing.
    If there are companies that have a sleeper that's preferred but idk if that's likely at all. Also looking to earn 25$ an hour or more and overtime. I'm currently in southern California. Soon I will have 1 year experience. Want to have something set up so I know where I'm going after this.
    Any recommendations, advice, input is most appreciated! Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Beverage and food service outfits use them.

Freight is s different story though.

mav100 Thanks this.
  4. mav100

mav100 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Thank you for your reply! Does that mean I should look up beverage companies in my area? How much physical labor is involved? If you know?

Freight is s different story though.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying there’s not enough work?
    Thanks again!

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I was lucky to have a hydraulic pallet jack. Many times, just a chain to bring it to the back on non-dock places. Beverage about the only place I've seen electric ones, and usually because the driver has 3 blocks from the truck to deliver. You want to schlep beer down back steps just to have an electric pallet jack, it may need some reconsideration. Beverage hauling is the toughest, and an electric pallet jack is the least of it.

6. mav100

mav100 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I’ve never even heard of a hydraulic pallet jack. Is that easier to use? What type of freight do you haul?
    If I have to pull it that far then you’re right it would be too difficult for me.
    Any other options with touch freight I should consider before moving on to other options?
    Thank you very much for your help and feedback!

7. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Beverage and food service is brutal compared to LTL. I don’t envy those who do either one.

8. Jamie01

Jamie01 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2020
    At my LTL company, the drivers doing Pickup and Delivery would use a pallet jack at customers' locations. When they, or the linehaul drivers, are loading or unloading at a company terminal, they'll mostly use a forklift. There's still some physical activity though, assembling racks (which create a second loading level above the floor of the trailer's floor), strapping freight, etc. Certainly more active than sitting in the cab while someone else loads you.

mav100 Thanks this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Some call it a "hand jack", but your standard pallet jack, and yes, a pallet of cheese is almost a ton, so one must be cautious, especially on those docks that go downhill. All docks have them, but may not let you use them due to liability.

MACK E-6 and mav100 Thank this.
  10. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    I can't speak for the whole Saia network but at least here in houston majority of their drivers have electric pallet Jack's.

I'm not sure if it's assigned or drivers pay out of pocket.

MACK E-6, Cardfan89 and mav100 Thank this.
  11. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If you want an electric pallet jack here you’re buying it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.