Which is better engine -- Cummins or Volvo?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by stocktonhauler, Mar 15, 2013.

1. stocktonhauler

stocktonhauler Medium Load Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Stockton, C
    I have no allegiance to any motor, wanting to buy whatever gets best fuel mileage, most power, with least maintenance. So, among those with 2012 & 2013 model year Volvos, which is better Cummins or Volvo, and why?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Cummins. Can get it worked on at many many more places.

4. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I'd concur with the Cummins. Better support network, better overall repute behind the engine vs. the newer Volvo engines (especially the D16), better availability of parts, more practical displacement (14.9 liters for the ISX15 vs. 12.8 liters for the D13 or 16.1 liters for the D16).

5. TheEnglishMan

TheEnglishMan Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I had experience with both engines in 780s when I ran with US Xpress. We had more problems with the cummins powered units than the volvo ones. Our last volvo powered unit went to 450,000 with no issues. Granted knowledge of the volvo engine is limited to main dealerships but this has not been a problem when needing to get work done. I opted for the volvo engine when I purchase my 780 and have no regrets.

stocktonhauler Thanks this.
  6. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Well I've had both also, and my suggestion is to play eenie, meenie, miny, moe. They're both boat anchors, love the truck but any of these new engines are complete nightmares.

7. stocktonhauler

Dec 9, 2007
    Stockton, C
    Thanks for the input. I'm talking about the 2012 engines, not older ones. I want a modern engine with thoughtful engineering, not the boat anchor just mentioned.

8. d281833

May 15, 2012
    I'm talking about the new ones. I've got a 2012 D13 with only 61000 miles and already replaced EGR Cooler because apparently it was plugged at 61000 miles ( did I mention that already? ) and numerous sensors so far. My '06 Cummins had the water pump, Compressor, Thermostat and power steering pump all replaced at 150000 miles. Thoughtful engineering? Flip a coin.

9. TheEnglishMan

TheEnglishMan Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2012
    The older boat anchors are the better engines. In the sense that people know how to fix them. The newer engines are the engines with all the issues. Which one is better is like calling the toss of a coin. It's not so much that the engines are bad it's more that the technicians are massively under educated on how to fix them. With that said, I would still opt for the volvo. Volvo out sells cummins in the global market so in theory their power plants should be more refined, which I think they are. Plus you can only get the I Shift with the Volvo engine. The argument that a cummins power plant can be fixed by just about by anyone is fast slipping away. All the engines are now so electronically sophisticated that franchised dealers are the only ones with the computer tools to plug in and diagnose.

Foxcover Thanks this.
  10. d281833

May 15, 2012
    I hear ya there.

11. stocktonhauler

Dec 9, 2007
    Stockton, C
    Thanks for the input. Right! I'm surprised that a class action lawsuit against these engine manufacturers hasn't already been processed by big fleets and independent repair facilities to get these companies to open up and reveal easier access to computer diagnostics. Monopolizing information isn't helpful to the marketplace, and dealership mechanics aren't so gifted on these machines that others can't be allowed to plug in and fix them too.

Now, back to the good old days argument that older trucks are better. Given the cost of fuel, and frankly the medical cost of particulates floating into the lungs of children and old folks, older trucks just don't measure up. I need better than 5mpg and a smoke stack that emits like an old coal burning locomotive.

But again, if I can't see it on the dashboard, should be able to use my iPhone or laptop to plug in by wifi to see what's going on with my engine, and then make a few phone calls to 800 manufacturer number to see where to get service that's not necessarily a dealership.

One problem I've learned about recently, that I still don't quite understand, is that the onboard CPUs are set at different voltages than conventional computer hardware. Why? so that various sensors and devices on the 12volt truck can be driven. Obviously, current engineering should focus on really durable sensors that don't have to be hard wired. Much of the time, when the sensor fails it's because of some oxidized salted connection, so why not make these units communicate with the CPU by wifi like on the airliners?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.