Which Is The Least Terrible Company Sponsored Truck Driver Training?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ajv1987, May 12, 2012.

1. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Anytime. I've been in this field for awhile, and am always happy to offer advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nicholas_jordan

nicholas_jordan Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
    I find brsims advice to be good along with much of the rest, though I cannot dig through it all ~ for what it is worth several Oil-Shale areas are running water-tankers and will take anyone who can pass a chem-screen & is holding a CDL -- if you want to look at that option I have a few things already in place.

Any new field of endeavor takes 5 years to get aligned, at 6 months out even the most seasoned worker will experience a phase where one tries to re-write the industry. Wont happen.

Finding company who will take a low hours in cab company takes some doing, I suggest getting a burger flippin job while you dig on what actually happens. To hire out from "school" actually does happen and may even make more money in training but that is "risky" in that fall-flat with no reserves is not something you do in snow-bound states.

4. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Do some more checking,

most of this advice so far is useless.

You need a company that has the school training,

like Swift, Stevens, FFE etc.

Watkins Shepard closed theirs a couple years ago.......

Cooper09 Thanks this.
  5. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Are you guys sure Watkins Sheppard has their own school? I think they are a starter company in as much as they take grads straight from school, but I don't think they do the company school

123456 Thanks this.
  6. Ajv1987

Ajv1987 Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I checked Watkins Sheppard's site, it looks like they still have a school but many drivers have reported that it is false,they haven't updated their site. I am going to give TDDS a shot for getting my cdl.

I think I will leave the company sponsored schools for a last resort which brsims helped me realize. I have just heard way too many negatives about going the company sponsored training route and most drivers leave before even getting paired with a trainer for OTR. Again this is just information I have collected from reviews and posts. I am sure that some people have had success in choosing that route.

All in all I think the $6,000 price tag for training at an independent school with no contract and a higher starting cpm rate vs. no upfront cost with a company sponsored training and a contract with lower starting cpm makes the $6,000 price seem fair or at least an even trade off.

I am not saying that going through the company sponsored training is bad, I am just saying it is not for everyone. Maybe I am letting what I have read sway my decision. Before I was definitely considering company sponsored right away since my current unemployment no income situation but on the other hand I won't have to pay anything upfront either by going through TDDS since they accept grants and financial aid.

Although it is a 4 hour drive from me it has great reviews and I have spoke with several of TDDS grads and really have heard nothing but good things. That is the route I will take unless I hear something really amazing about a company that offers sponsored training.

I have a lot to learn and quite a bit of researching to do when it comes to what type of trucking I want to be pulling let alone which company to join. Anybody reading and who has helped offer their insight I definitely appreciate it.

7. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Check into Roehl, they have their own school, run reefer, van and flats, and the school can be financed most times and is pretty cheap if you pay for it. Stay about a year and you don't pay for the school

8. Ajv1987

Ajv1987 Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am going to look into Roehl, I do not know too much about them but that is nice that they offer various types of loads. I haven't heard anything bad about Roehl so at least that is a positive. I usually only see companies getting a lot of negative feedback and few positives or nothing being reported at all about a company. So in that Roehl sounds like a potential for me. By the way DrFlush do you happen to know where their training school is at?

9. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Marshfield Wisconson.

Ajv1987 Thanks this.
  10. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!

I live in Marengo Ohio and drive for Maverick. I went there right out of cdl school. I just completed my second year with them.
    I am at .44 a mile. $25 for tarp pay. Fuel Bonus last quarater was over $300 ( I can and will do much better. Two of my friends got over $600 and $800)
    I am in a brand new 2012 Cascadia with Electric Apu.
    They treat me excellent and I have not found anyone that pays any better.
    Ohio is an excellent area for our freight. I get home almost every weekend.
    I am 60 years old and I have no problems handling the work.

Flatbedder 1966 and Ajv1987 Thank this.
  11. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!

If you have to do the company school, I would recommend Rohel.
    One of my friends son went through their school.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.