Which Is The Least Terrible Company Sponsored Truck Driver Training?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ajv1987, May 12, 2012.

1. Ajv1987

Ajv1987 Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Marshfield, Wisconsin isn't too bad. I am originally from Indianapolis, IN so I could stop by my parents in Indy if I chose Roehl. I have been in Ohio for about 3 years. so I guess my odds are a little better for hometime every now and then.

Jim it sounds like Maverick is a great choice as well. If you are in a new Freightliner within a few years that is great! It is nice to hear you get home and the pay sounds satisfying to me. Jim if you don't mind me asking, what school did you attend to get your cdl?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Traveler51

Traveler51 Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Greensboro, NC
    Roehl is a good company. BUT you need to have a Trans Union credit score of 500 or better in order to qualify for their financed training. Just FYI.

Ajv1987 Thanks this.
  4. notezbngrn71

notezbngrn71 Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Stevensville, MI
    If your score is lower, they allow a co-signer on the note. One of my recruits for Roehl had to take this route.

You don't hear a lot about Roehl on here because they really do try to do what's best for their drivers. Are they always perfect, NO but they seem to be better than most. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that for the most part its still a family owned and operated company. Son of the founder is running the company and it looks like his son may take over someday as well.

One great thing about Roehl is that they will never ask you to compromise safety for the load. They guard their high safety rating as the most important company value and its the cornerstone of the company.

Usually when you hear negatives about Roehl, its from a driver who was fired for violating safety policies.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
    Ajv1987 Thanks this.
  5. Ajv1987

Apr 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    That even further gives me reason to go with Roehl. I heard someone say that their training doesn't cover lodging costs, do you know anything about that? Sounds like a pretty solid company. Also I am glad to hear they value the safety of the load.

Thanks for the added info on Roehl notezbngrn71!

6. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    If you live in Ohio, look into Millis Transfer as well. They have company training. Take $20 a week out of your check after you go solo. Only drawback is you agree to stay a year but other than that, plenty of happy drivers there.

7. Ajv1987

Apr 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I will check them out as well. They actually have a location near Cincinnati which is an hour away from me so that would work.

8. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Shoot for Millis, kid. They have a school in Trenton, which is where one of their yards is. You living in Dayton will put you in a good spot for home time. And after you've completed your 1 year, the door is open for you. Dick Lavy and Pohl both have their headquarters not to far from Dayton and both offer good home time. Like every weekend, and you living there, possibly once or twice during the week.

9. Ajv1987

Apr 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    After reading posts from previous Millis students it sounds like that is where I will go. The smaller company definitely appeals to me with the added focus on my training. Thanks joseph1135, your suggestion has helped a lot.

10. indianaEMT

indianaEMT Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Crawfordsville, IN
    I've done months and months of research on training companies and Millis stands out far from the others. I will be going to Millis for their school June 11th in Trenton, OH

11. Ajv1987

Apr 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've done plenty of research and plenty of people left Millis Training Institute happy. Also the posts of drivers still driving for Millis are satisfied. It is nice to know another person going to Millis. I'll try to join you in the June 11th class. If everything goes as expected there will be 2 hoosiers attending lol!

indianaEMT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.