Which steer tires (size/width) hold up better?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Green461, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Green461

Green461 Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    Currently running 11r22.5 front weight is 12,300 empty, loaded I am around 11,500 on the front, tires are 16 ply.
    I had Michelins that lasted 180k and still perfectly round and have 1/4" tread left. Replaced them with Continental and the shoulders are all flat spotted inner and outer but the center tread is perfect at 65k miles...
    These tires are garbage.

I know I should and will likely go back to Michelins, but for the garbage roads out there (the entire country), are there other tires that hold up besides the expensive Michelins?

Would wider tires be better or narrower? do lower profile tires hold up better?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deezl Smoke

Deezl Smoke Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Hillsboro Oregon
    All answers will be subjective in nature. Hot roads vs. cold roads. 75mph vs. 50mph etc., so.....
    My subjective answer is that no, low pros, wider widths, etc., do not hold up better.
    Your alignment and axle component condition matter. When did you last replace the shocks? Did you have any sort of balancing done on the Contis? Balance beads or liquid? Was the correct amount of either put in the tire? Etc.
    It's really difficult in tire manufacturing to get 100% consistent results from batch to batch. So though some may have great luck with less expensive brands, others will not. Again, so freek'n many variables.

4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    The only steer tire I tried that is comparable to Michelin in longevity is Yokohama 101zl.

Deere hunter, 86scotty and Deezl Smoke Thank this.
  5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Pretty subjective to condions but generally save a few outliers the michlins are the diamond standard in general for a reason

6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    How much cheaper is it?

My vote is for Michelins, especially with a heavy tractor. My truck eats everything else. I'd love a cheaper alternative though. $750 per these days.

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    About $500. Yeah, on my Volvo nothing else lasts more than 80-100k miles

86scotty Thanks this.
  8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I’ve ran a lot different ones through out the years, Firestones, Bridgestones, Continental, Yokohama. I run local, for my application and price, the Firestone FS 591 wins my vote. Currently I have Yokohama RY 617 and love them. Only have these cause my tire guy sold them to me for $600.00 for the pair, Brand new.

9. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI

I know its not my truck. My friends truck is doing the same, same left steer tire. we've gone on quite a few same trips together, Indiana to Oregon, Washington, up to Montana, and back... ya the roads are insane garbage in some areas, heavy winds, Im not looking for variables that can do the damage... Michelin clearly lasted 180k doing it and are near perfect yet... one i took off cause the other one was a little lower in tread and replaced them both.... Im going to put the one back on for a bit.
    Its odd the shoulders do this on the cheaper tires yet wont do it on the michelin with twice the miles?

This odd shoulder depressions... this is same one but been off a bit, why its got water in it. Just the shoulders get wrecked, the center is perfect yet... I dont get how it does it. oldcont.jpg

This one has 180k on it, Michelin. Also been off a while... one im putting back on to replace the left steer which looks like the above one.
    oldmich.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    86scotty, Diesel Dave and Deezl Smoke Thank this.
  10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    This is what I run on my steers.

little cat 500 and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  11. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    Anyone know if lower profile would be better or hold up more? Or wider tires? I dont get why just the shoulders of the cheaper tires get all the impact marks, flat spots and depressions.

Seems steer tires run at almost their limit, vs drives. Am i thinking wrong? my front being 12,300 i use the H 16 ply...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.