Which T/S do you use the most for WiFi

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by Truckin Juggalo, Aug 12, 2006.

Which T/S do u use for WIFI Access

1. *

Flying J

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. *

TA

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Petro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Pilot

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. IdleAire

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. *

OR Cellphone modem connection

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. Other

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Truckin Juggalo

Truckin Juggalo Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Madisonville, TN
    I am Stuck at a Flying J at the moment till monday morning, i tell you i hate the way they have there WIFI set up.... i think its complete BS that there is a 200mb limit to the service per 24hr period... and thats not just 200mb received its a total of the combination of Sent and Received Data and for 4.95 per 24hr period i think they need to do away with this limit

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. earthbrown

earthbrown Medium Load Member

May 27, 2006
    get a cell card for the laptop, wifi is ok, but with air card, you can use it anywhere......

4. truckntim80

truckntim80 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Cookeville, TN
    When I was out there, I used 'TA'

Some people have problems with it, but it really depends on where you are parked. Closer to the building, you get stronger signal. Sometimes another rig would drive by my truck while on-line and my signal would go weak for a sec, as it went by.

I've only used Flying J a few times. It was ok....

5. Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Michigan
    The little hole-in-the-wall truck stops always have free internet. I will only pay a truck stop to use the net once in a great while. I was thinking about getting the Verizon wireless card for my laptop. I looked at the brochure of the coverage area, and I estimate the covered area was only like 40% of the country if that. If you are out of the coverage area, it could be as slow as dial up and I think it is 25 cents/minute!!!! I just couldn't justify spending $60 a month for two years (they even make you sign a contract!!), for spotty internet service. Does anyone have any input on a good wireless internet provider?

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Verizon's coverage is not as spotty as that brochure would lead you to believe. The 6 + months I used it while OTR I didn't have that many places I couldn't use it, and never once had to pay the 25cents a min.

7. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I "used" to use TA's WiFi, but it seemed no matter how close to the transmitter I parked, I got an interrupt by trucks driving by, and sometimes a Flying J WiFi signal (with-in 10 miles) would boot me off with a stronger signal. TA told me that Flying J "rented" space for their transmitter all around TA's specifically to interfere with their (TA's) WiFi.

Then I switched to using my Sprint phone as a modem. I got better baud rates generally and especially when I was in a large metro area. NOW; I have a Sprint Broadband card, and my service is even better with UP/DOWN speed exceeding 450Kbs in some areas and at least 56k in others.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.