Which tractor?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Snow Hater, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Snow Hater

Snow Hater Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I have a choice of 2019, 2020 and 2022 Pete or Freightliner. All are automatics and set for mileage. Figure 110k miles/yr and well maintained. Which would be least likely to be trouble? I know this is light on info but until I get one of them on the road... please give me your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I would drive either brand if they are newish and well maintained. My experience was Peterbilts were more reliable, rougher riding, but parts were harder to get and more expensive. 1990s Peterbilts had the turn radius of an aircraft carrier so if there is lots of backing you better know how to back well. Maybe that has changed. I haven't driven a Pete in decades, but my last truck was a new 2021 KW T680 13-speed. My KW had no problem backing. KW and Pete are both Paccar brands.

Freightliners were easy to get parts for (I think they are about 70% of semi-trucks on the road), but they are cheaply built and full of safety features. They have ridiculous fues panels hidden behind the glove box that come with a rainshield over the fuse panel because water drips from the roof lights or windshield in many trucks. I drove a Freightliner for 3 years doing HazMat tanker and was happy with it, other than backing and automatic with a trailer full of liquid. Someone here gave me the suggestion to turn off Hill Start Assist when backing otherwise the truck will only back by going faster than I wanted or back and stop and back and stop at low throttle due to the liquid surge.

I would want to drive each candidate before I decided and the interior and convenience features might settle the issue for me. I'm not generally a truck snob. I have no strong preference about brands. I drove a Volvo for the most years and loved them, but you better accept you will always have some minor electrical issues while you ride on the cloud and have tons of interior space and quiet ride.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  4. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Close your eyes and point...there all junk

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    You need to get a dyno and blow by test run on whatever truck you pick. And get a ECM dump, oil analysis on engine, trans, and rear end fluids. Then get a mechanic you can trust to go over it with a critical eye.
    Yes, this will cost some money, but it could save you from getting a shop queen that will quickly drain your bank account.

Magoo1968 and Snow Hater Thank this.
  6. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    They're all going to be trouble, so go with the newest one you can afford.

Snow Hater and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Go with newer. You'll have or should have some type of factory warranty left.

Take for a test drive.

Make sure axle seals don't leak. I know one dealer that was very thorough on cleaning detail to make sure all leaks were washed away.

You can pull the oil dipstick out to test for blowby.

Snow Hater Thanks this.
  8. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Are you a company driver, or an owner operator? If you have a choice, look for a truck with a manual transmission.

9. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

Drove a friend’s Peterbilt 389 which is 30” longer wheelbase than my 95 W900L.

I could make turns with the late model Pete in places I had to back up with my shorter truck….

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Thanks for updating me.

Bean Jr. and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  11. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Petes have always turned better

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.