Which truck for my custom straight truck + trailer (not for hire)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Stillgar, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Stillgar

Stillgar Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2021
    When you've mentioned "expeditor" a couple of times, is that a general term that means any truck with a sleeper and a box behind it? Or is that referring to a certain spec line for the Cascadia specifically? If I follow you, you're suggesting to get a Cascadia with a sleeper and box behind it (as usually built for the "expeditor" use if I follow the lingo), add a couple doors to it and remodel the interior to add a couple rear passenger seats, right? Basically a low cost way of making a crew cab out of a Cascadia sleeper cab.

Thanks for mentioning. My truck builder made me aware of that a while ago, especially with me crossing into Canada frequently, that it would be an issue. Apparently I actually need to become a licensed fleet operator with all that compliance, even though I'll have a fleet of one (me). I definitely am looking to obey all regs and not try skirting the lines, as I can't afford to be delayed if someone throws a book at me.

BTW I appreciate seeing the used listings as examples, but I am pretty dead-set on buying a custom order new rig. I'm just putting too much money into the upfitting to want to save money on the truck itself. In for a penny, in for a pound. There's a lot that goes into (lots of power generators, batteries, electrical distribution, climate control, etc., etc., etc.) so that it can run a whole film set, and that stuff will cost way more than the truck, even before I get to the cargo which costs more than the truck and upfitting combined again. I just want to buy the very best truck and hopefully use it for 10, 15, 20 years (as long as possible). So I hope it'll be a dream truck. If I ever upgrade, I can only see doing that if and when electric trucks are really mature and compelling, and I think that is going to take a while (since I want range and flexibility - would be different if I was only using it short distance).

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's another place that can customize your truck to exactly what you want.
    ~
    Iron Resurrection - Home | Facebook
    Tonight is the Season Premier of Iron Resurrection. Jayson 'SHAG' Arrington & Amanda 'Mandi' Martin are going LIVE with a behind the scenes with a tour of the shop. Tune in to Velocity tonight for 2 brand new episodes or download the Motor Trend app and watch the first 5 episodes now.
    upload_2021-7-9_18-44-21.jpeg

4. Stillgar

Stillgar Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2021
    Ooooh, interesting!
    Ok I’m probably wading into some Ford vs Chevy type question, and reminding everyone what an ignorant newb I am, but is there a consensus on who makes a better truck or what the pros/cons are between a Cascadia and whatever the Kenworth (780?) / Peterbuilt (?) competition is? IIRC the latter are under the same corporate umbrella (like Chevy/GMC?). Or is this purely subjective?

5. Stillgar

Stillgar Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2021
    I like the custom idea, but I’m very wary of any shop that has a reality TV show. Being in the film industry, I happen to know of some practices of a couple of them that scare me away. Maybe unfair to paint them all with that brush, but it gives me pause. Their business model seems to distort their view of who/what they are serving.

6. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Lol, yeah maybe I shouldn't have poked my nose in..? :D
    Just think Schwalbe does a heck of a nice interior job. They used to upfit all makes, maybe they only do Paccar (Kenworth & Peterbilt) cabs now.? But they may still do sound deadening, seats, entertainment, & all that jazz if you bring them a 4 door M2..?
    42316-b2a1a7b1.jpeg.jpg

I run a '93 FLD Freightliner, single axle actually. But I am a diehard Detroit Diesel Series 60 fan. Put one in anything but a Volvo, & I'm interested.. :D But this brings up another point..

If I had to buy a new truck, I'm about limited to FreightShaker's, & Western Stars. Class 8 trucks have been starting to try & make everything proprietary like auto makers. Daimler trucks hasn't sold any Detroit engines to other new manufacturers since about 2003. (Excluding glider kits) Just like Paccar don't sell the MX13 outside their brand. I believe the new/newish emission equipped Detroits are going to be the most reliable platform out there in something I'd own & drive.

As for one brand over the other, yes. It's the same thing as Ford vs Chevy. Lots of bickering about that. My opinion is they are almost all robotically built now, & the same quality, or lack of as far as I'm concerned..

Western Star still hand builds trucks in Portland, OR. The T800 & W900 Kenworths still get some hands on assembly vs their aero counterparts. Unsure about Pete 389 assembly. My choices in that order..

Didn't mean to mess you up. Big money being spent, so I know you'd like to get it right 1st time. Lot of choices on where to go with the upfit. But again, if you really desire 4wd the M2 FreightShaker will probably be the only option. Unless I've over looked a different brand.? But the M2 is a solid platform.. :thumbup:

Oh, not trying to spend y'alls hard earned money, but another option is to get one of those tiny SmartCars or even better a jeep.! Either go with a toy hauler rv so it has a small garage at the back, or maybe even make the storage box on the tractor long enough to accommodate the vehicle, & it can ride the lift gate up & down. Then the family has better transportation for everyday life.?

Sorry, started a good bit of rambling up there.. Lol :D

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    Dodge 5500 forget medium duty for comfort, ditch 4wd for the most comfort.

8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Stop worrying about the age of the M2. If it's not broke don't fix it. It's still around because it works very good for its intended for

Czar_Zero and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  9. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    4wd Ram 5500 will ride the same as the 2wd version. Both are solid axle coil sprung, 5 link last I checked, albeit has been a couple years since I was under one..

Unless I read it wrong the 19500 GVWR will be a problem, as he wants to add a 12'-15'box, at 12,000lbs (when loaded with is gear). Put that on 9,000lb curb weight cummins crew cab, plus passengers, & tongue load from the rv he'll be well over that 19,500 GVWR..

A 12' box will fit on the longer 84" cab axle, but a 15'er will be a stretch. Then the tag along camper tongue will be so far aft the rear axle, it will ride awful..

I'm a Cummins Ram fan all the way, but what he has envisioned seems like too much for one..

Maybe the ford F600 would be the smallest rig to work at 22,000 GVWR.? IDK Still seems like a stretch to me..

10. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    My 2007 cabin chassis had a rack and pinion in the front of instead of a steering gear box it made from much nicer ride

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.