Which truck has better fuel milege

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MightySingh, May 11, 2021.

1. MightySingh

MightySingh Bobtail Member

May 11, 2021
    I have 20k in my hand for any mishaps. I think it would be enough.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Patrick615

Patrick615 Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2018
    People are still falling for the fleece operator trick?

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    $20k can easily be wiped out after a single repair. I'd double that number first. JMO.

5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    To add onto this. On repairs its also entirely posible that when you buy or lease a truck you will inherit a problem child. I will use me as an example. My truck was 78K with a warranty reasonable miles and passed a dyno, blowby, and oil test. Went to a kenworth, pete and indy and passed all pre purchase inspections with flying colors. And i went in with a near 6 figure budget. This truck over 2 months has cost me nearly 60K if you count tows, down time, repairs, missed loads, late fees and parts. Even with warranty having paid 20k because of DEF issues because the previous owner of my truck did a ton of half assed slapdash repairs that passed all the surface checks.

Now im responsible for it and struggleing hard to make ends meet while costing dealer to dealer trying to have them throw ideas at the problem. Sometimes you can do your due diligance and still get bent over and screwed 10 ways to sunday. Im not saying this to scare you off im saying this so you really really think before comitting. There is no just walking away if you finance even a little. There are lemons and there is bad luck. If you truely want to do this i HIGHLY advise you sit down and math out if you could afford a worst case situation like i am dealing with and survive. Use pessimistic everything, income, expenses everything. Can you TRUELY survive if everything goes to hell? if yes then great being an O/O is a rewarding experince and even all this crap i have aside the day i got my keys is STILL one of the proudiest of my life even if thos fails because i TRIED for my dream. If you cant or dont want to risk it then dont. You can make a perfectly good living driving for someone else.

6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Don’t want to pile on, but HEAR the man. At the mileage truck you are looking at, you are entering into the “end of it’s expected life” period for a number of major components. Like emissions systems (which are the same on the Paccar and the ISX, FWIW). When I bought my first truck in ‘06, things were simpler, no emissions, and engines were expected to last a million miles. Mine promptly dropped a liner and I was paying for an in frame - money I hadn’t budgeted in the first six months. In trucking, $1,000 is an incidental expense. Someone once told me this industry is “not for the timid”. He was right.

On average, these trucks will be fine, but they aren’t giving you the choice of these trucks because these are the best ones in their fleet! And the risk is binary, either you get the gold mine, or you get the shaft; the average only comes in when you own a fleet!

7. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    20k is your entire reserve before you have the tools and ability to work on the truck to save yourself money.

You gave us a slate of trucks you will not be able to work on even if you had the tools. If only because the lease company will not allow it. (Im guessing here, but all repairs are going to a. Come out of your paycheck, and b. Be done where lease company chooses)

The amount you have is not adequate for a new truck, while it is probably not advisable to buy an old truck and constantly work on it here and there making payments, you would at the least be operating as an actual owner and could make the best decisions you were capable of.

Still not advisable but a slightly better option.... maybe

firemedic2816 and MightySingh Thank this.
  8. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I bought my first truck with an extra $10k in the bank, then saved another $15k in the first three months, then spent $15k in repairs in three weeks.

9. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    You don’t buy a hood for fuel milage, but it’s a tax write off, buy what you want, no sense hating life walking out to a truck you have to make payments on for 5 years

MightySingh Thanks this.
  10. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    The company my nephew drives for has a small fleet of 8 or so trucks and they are all W900s

they replace them when the warranty expires with an new W900

they do heavy haul flatbed and RGN so mpg Probabaly isn’t a concern.

I think they use the W900 because it has the largest radiator available in any truck .

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  11. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Ill grant that theyre older trucks, but my 94 t600 uses the exact same radiator as my brothers 01 w900

The only difference seems to be that the w9 has it set higher and the t600 has it lower and bottom flow is maintained by some flow through the top of the molded bumper

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.