Which Truck Would you buy? T660 or old W900

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by OldRed98, Apr 25, 2017.

1. OldRed98

OldRed98 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    She needs some cosmetic work... Paint and the interior needs to be cleaned up. I'm thinking about taking like 2 weeks and just fixing everything. Might be a fun project.

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  4. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    That ain't a bad lookin' rig at all. I like it. Price is right too. I paid $18,500 for my '99 in 2015. It needed a few things but ran good. I took a few weeks and got 'er ready while I was still driving a company truck. Put 'er on the road first week of '16 and ain't looked back. I've really come to like this N14. Easy to work on, parts are cheap, and she cruises.

Some things to think about:

The front end on mine had been re-done not long before I bought it. New springs, ball joints, etc. But they didn't do the gearbox. So I slapped a reman gearbox on and she drives like a new one. But at the age of these trucks, if that stuff hasn't been done, it's probably gonna need it.

Rear suspension. Mine had the AG200. It was no good for oilfield work. After breaking the studs off the arms twice on lease roads, I went to Kenworth and bought the AG400 setup ($2500). It's a MUCH stronger setup. I don't know what kind of work you're planning on doing but it's something to consider. If it's already got the AG400, bonus.

Other small stuff. I put a set of injectors in. Never done injectors before. Easy as pie on this motor. Could do it on the side of the road if ya had to.

That long hood sure gets that motor out front where it's easy to work on. I really like these trucks.

OldRed98 Thanks this.
  5. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    Thanks ShooterK2. I feel like I made the right choice with this W9.

I appreciate the pointers on rear suspension and the gear box. Good things to put on my list to check when I start repairs.

It sounds like your W9 has been pretty reliable. I feel a lot better now that I have money saved for repairs. Buying a truck with 700K miles for 30K would have been stressful.

I've had a lot of injector and pump problems in one of my light duty diesels. I've started running Amsoils fuel treatment and haven't had problems since (its expensive though). I was about to take my Duramax in for a second set of injectors ($7000 repair) and my buddy told me to run several tanks of their emergency/diesel 911 product along with a ton of injector cleaner... ran about 3 tanks of fuel and sure enough it cleaned up my injector issue.

ShooterK2 Thanks this.
  6. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Good deal. Definitely done the right thing keeping money put back. Takes a lot of stress out of this owner/operator thing knowing that, no matter what breaks, money is there to cover it.

Just so ya know, I put reman injectors in. Around $1500 for all 6, and you can do it in an afternoon easy. Buy you some 12-point sockets if you don't have any. All bolts on top of this motor are 12-point except the valve cover bolts. Might wanna invest in the service manual so you'll have torque specs. But it's real easy to work on. If you're a tinkerer, you're gonna love that rig.

Any questions, just ask. I certainly don't know everything about everything lol, but I'll do what I can to help.

7. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    A long hood flat top w9 for 13?. Can't go wrong there. I had an 88 t-6 years ago. Check the fuse panel and reseal it if there's any sign of water getting in on the engine side. Check the rear sleeper mounts. The seem to corrode badly over time. The 8 bag rear suspension is prone to cracking the the "elephant ears" so keep an eye on them. The heater boxes are a weak point too iirc but that might have been upgraded on yours. Good luck with it.

8. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
  9. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    Figured I would come back to this post and show what my truck looks like now. Lots of new parts, polished chrome, and new paint. I hit a deer with my old bumper so figured it was time for an upgrade. Did all the work myself

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'll do the W900. It's almost you have to break my arm to do it. Bring 13500 dollars cash.

Hold off on the nickelydimy cosmetic stuff. Hunt the big expensive stuff first.

I bet you will uncover something wrong from Mr Shifty the previous owner.

11. A- Model

A- Model Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2017

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.