Which type of trucking is best…?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by PatrickBateman, Jan 25, 2022.

1. PatrickBateman

PatrickBateman Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2022
    Multiple questions. Different goals.

Which type of trucking (flatbed, hazmat, etc) do you believe is best for a new driver?

To follow up, which is best if your goal is to be a long term corporate driver, make six figures, and have work/life balance?

Similar question but different goal. Which type of trucking would you recommend if your goal was to eventually become an O/O and make the most money possible?

This means you’d be willing to make less and slave more upfront, if the experience in that field will lead to more money and independence down the line.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    You remind me of our old beloved friend Tequila !:)

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    This should never get old, this is an informational site, and even though my views are dated, I try to help.
    1st, a BRAND new driver will most likely be hired for dry van freight. No offense, but it's the least screwupable trucking there is. Can't hurt a load of diapers, unless you go in the drink, that is.
    2nd, you won't make 6 figures driving a truck. Oh, I know, several CLAIM to make 6 figures, but that is under ideal conditions, and new drivers can usually expect half that, which is still okay. Remember, you make 6 figures, you give 1/3 of that to Uncle Sam.
    Last, I can't stress enough, don't EVER become an O/O. Again many here are doing great with their own trucks, but again, they aren't new at it, and some have had accounts for years. It would be a nightmare for a new O/O today. There was a time, MY time, 25 years ago, a person had a shot at having your own truck. Freight was plentiful, regulations non-existent, distracted driving was when a gal with a low top was next to you, today, a minor slipup can ruin you for a long time, just get a good company job and live happily ever after, trust me

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  5. PatrickBateman

Jan 25, 2022
    Thank you.

I want to emphasize that I wasn’t asking about being an O/O out the gate but rather after years of experience.

6. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Tequila!!! LOL, I miss him already.

Hatt91, 062, motocross25 and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    He will pop up shortly with 3-5 threads and disappear into thinking again !

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Start as a company driver, you may not like the lifestyle and will be back at work at the warehouse job you had. Second, being a co driver will let you see all about trucking and how it works. WITHOUT you spending any $$$. You will have lots of time to shoot the breeze with other drivers at shippers and truck stops and decide for yourself. You can wear yourself out pretty easy driving 600 mi/day and dealing with everything you need to deal with. Traffic, strange cities, a-hole security guards, construction, weather, truck stop food, going a couple days without a shower, trying to sleep in noisy truck stops ( they're all noisy) Luck to ya' :newb:

9. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    If you want to make 6 figures out of the gate, move to TX or ND and work in the oilfield.

Lots of companies offer a decent work life balance EX. 14 days on, 7 off or 28 days on, 14 off.

PatrickBateman Thanks this.
  10. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    People always say that dry van is for beginners and you work your way up, but I started with reefer and now I'm dry van. My wife and I run teams and each earn 6 figures, but solo drivers at my company make just as much. Your results may vary, but it's possible if you keep your record clean. Screenshot_20220125-143354_Chrome~2.jpg

Kyle G. and PatrickBateman Thank this.
  11. PatrickBateman

Jan 25, 2022
    Thank you to everyone who responded.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.