White/grey smoke during regen 2018 x15 cummins

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckerOnDuty13, Nov 25, 2023.

1. TruckerOnDuty13

TruckerOnDuty13 Bobtail Member

May 27, 2023
    Hi everyone! I have a 2018 579 cummins x15 500hp. I got DEF today and at the pump the def was coming out very slow and i thought it’s probably crap quality so I pumped 10L and stopped. About 45 mins later I took a load and i notice the truck starting to regen while driving, 10mins later its smoking bad behind me and its white/grey ish. Smells pretty bad and i know its was during regen only. Only does it on high RPM while its trying to grab some speed. previous history: DPF and Sensors were replaced new. Truck has 950k kms.

any advice? Yes i also got diesel if that matters lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    77fib77 Thanks this.
  4. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    It can be a somewhat normal operation. It all depends on how much soot and other deposits are in the DPF. If this is a rare occurrence, wouldn’t worry to much about it. If it seems to be constant, then maybe a sensor is starting to fail. Have you been experiencing any loss of fluids, like oil or coolant? If it is going into the exhaust system, When the system regens, these will make the a lot of smoke. Takes surprisingly little to make the system smoke.

Vitkouski and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  5. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Some of the Halliburton trucks with the X 15 would smoke like that once in awhile,would only last a few minutes then be fine.
    Check your fluids and see if it does it again.I keep my def tank above 1/2 tank all the time,rare to have any problems.

6. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Phoenix Heavy Haul Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    I have a Detroit but have had the same issue. Mine does it every now and then maybe once every couple months. From my understanding this is from too much fuel being pumped in when it’s trying to achieve the correct temperature during a passive regen. This is normally caused by a faulty sensor, or something stupid.
    However I’ve not had any trouble with mine.

7. Blagoje

Blagoje Medium Load Member

Jul 14, 2022
    Sheboygan, Wisconsin
    I had this happen to me one day about 2 weeks ago when I was driving and Northeast Georgia through an area with very a lot of slow curves in the mountains. Normally most of my driving is a high speed on open highways but my X15 seems to like to regen after I've done a lot of slower driving.

Exact same thing happens, lots of white smoke and stink. Everything went back to normal the next day and has stayed the same ever since. It happens...

77fib77 Thanks this.
  8. TruckerOnDuty13

May 27, 2023
    nope no loss of coolant or anything else. Everything is normal. So an update now it i ran it on highway for 1 hour and smoke did come out but then stopped. Regen also stopped. I think i forgot to mention the truck runs local/city work. Lots of stop and go/idles.

9. TruckerOnDuty13

May 27, 2023
    Your right. Next day it stopped. How frequently does your truck do regen? Like not parked regen but the active passive one.

10. TruckerOnDuty13

May 27, 2023
    Interesting. Ill keep mind above half from now on.

11. TruckerOnDuty13

May 27, 2023
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.