Who cares about the family?

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by bethydawn7, May 7, 2010.

1. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Less than 30 day's in two year's total? I would tell them what they can do with that truck. #### that. Hope it get's better for you guy's. First place to start is by looking for employment else where.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I have heard Schneider ads that claim better hometime. Yet when you call them it is less than 4 days a month at home.

Companies do not want drivers to be off at home it seems.

truckerdave1970 and Fyr Thank this.
  4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA

Driver at home means truck not hauling freight, which means the company isn't making money, which in turn means that the top officers might not get another raise next year.

Fyr Thanks this.
  5. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!

If he does not mind the physical nature of the work, he should look into flatbedding.
    I drive for Maverick and they have had a load for me to get home every weekend. The only weekend that I did not make it is because my 70 ran out. That was not their fault. They do not guarantee they will get you home every weekend, but they sure try. I have been driving for two months....but other drivers here for years have the same experience.
    If you live in a good freight lane, you will get home.
    Maverick had been top notch!
    Just food for thought...That is why I chose them...because my family is more important!
    God Bless!
    If he wants info, you or he can contact me via this forum.

Jim

southernpride and Fyr Thank this.
  6. Fyr

Fyr Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Marshall, Texas
    My husband is training with Stevens right now, his home time has been zero during the training time, untill his 12-weeks are complete. Then a week home and the rest will be road time. We understood going in that it would be like this - we planned and expected it too be the job first and us second or a close third. I have had no illusions about trucking, the trucking companies and or what this choice of employment entails short and long term. It is a lifestyle not just a job.

I can't complain and I won't. I know we made a choice and we will follow it through. I think having children with an away dad would be challenging.

Blessings and care to you and your family Bethydawn.

Oh, and I have to say WGCarver has some good points in his post.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  7. southernpride

southernpride Gone But Never Forgotten

Apr 5, 2009
    orlando,fl
    maverick has been around for a lot of years there a good company and they always have been you could do a lot worse then mavrick .

good company souhernpride :biggrin_25514:

Fyr and JustSonny Thank this.
  8. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Good to see you back posting FYR!:biggrin_25525:

Fyr Thanks this.
  9. Fyr

Fyr Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Marshall, Texas
    **hugs** smile, Thank ye!

10. Danish5666

Danish5666 Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Dallas, tx
    So far I have been able to go on home time every 5 weeks. It might at time been a little shorter or longer but I have never had any problems getting home time. Home time is even described in the Stevens Drivers manual. I have heard that for people living in Florida it could be a problem getting on home time, but never like what you describe. I recommend that he talks with one of the two counselors at Stevens, because it sound like his DM is not up to the task.

11. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    that's why there's slip seating programs..

the stupidest one i ever heard of was on a dollar general account at werner, where you work your arse off all day every day and deserve some home time more than anything else!

It gets you home two days a weekend. I fail to understand how slip seating accomplishes that. What the hell!

But theres slip seating programs where you drive a week and someone else jumps in the truck for another week...but they sure dont sound like they pay well.. :(

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.