Who has completed a lease purchase and fully owns truck with title?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by OOIDA Media, May 7, 2010.

1. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Not that much has changed since the '70s. My parents came into some money and used it to buy a truck ... to paraphrase my step father "the most money he ever made with that truck was when he sold it."

Just as many "true" O/Os who buy a truck fail, as do those who lease their tractor from a carrier. It's just that you don't hear from them, since they have no one to blame but themselves. Whereas those who lease/purchase from a a carrier will scream bloody murder that the carrier screwed them over, if they fail.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mickey melon

mickey melon Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Chicago,Il

This post makes a lot of sense......And Very True

the Dollar does NOT balance as inflation follows of Today.......

this gentleman stated that in the 70's...You had opportunity

Its mere impossible Today to save money the 'old fashioned way' to start a business or whatever..........

If Fuel was still $1.00 a gallon.....Tires were $175 new, and Cigarettes were $1.00 a pack....Also Affordable Insurance..Yes a man TODAY could start without Killing Himself......Most people today
    Buy a truck on a Refi-mortgage or Inheritance.....Saving COLD HARD CASH is mere impossible in reasonable time.

The Government does NOT..(I repeat DOES NOT) want the average American living any kind of dream.....They want complete control of your average man...And Society today is balanced STRATEGICALLY to where average salaries will only get you by...THATS ALL.. And its a shame

Wages havent followed inflation in over 20 years..(Id say since the early 1990's) .

as an owner-operator myself..........I bought my truck in 1991...Paid $15,900 for it (1987 pete 362) and STILL drive it..........Wages DO NOT support owning new....

And i feel terriblr for folks that want to live the dream........But Corporate america and Financial impossibilities stand in their way.....Whats the answer??

I dont believe their is one until wages MEET the financials of today.......Or Lower the Price of evereything to meet the Dollar so Americans can prosper once again

Dan.S, fargonaz, blade and 4 others Thank this.
  4. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    this is very true they "the government". Want us to be dependent on them for everything it seems anymore. Just work pay your taxes and we might let you have enough to exist on!. Nice way of controlling the population!. No wonder so many people have given up!.

Dan.S and rjgcape Thank this.
  5. Mr&MrsPete

Mr&MrsPete Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Stockton, CA
    I love to hear these guys say " save your pennies and go to a dealership". Dont you think we would if we could? Most guys who say that are driving trucks that are at least 15 years old. Now, with the economy crashing, you need 25-30% down on a truck. Most finnace companies wont finnace a truck more than seven years old. If you live in California like I do, you have to buy an 08 or newer so your talking at least $40,000. Go ahead and save for pennies for that down payment,the insurance down payment,fuel for 60 days,Maintence fund and living expenses. Not on todays wages and cost of living

blade and SheepDog Thank this.
  6. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Yes but at the same time you hear so many wanting to take the PLUNGE into owning a truck and have nothing to start with nor listen to what they are told that they need upfront.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  7. 6 Speed

6 Speed Heavy Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    L/P is a scam. Most who get a truck couldn't fill the fuel tank.Companies kept wages so low they could only hope drivers would pay them for the privilege of driving and then came the L/P.

8. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    If you really want to buy a truck, you will find a way. I don't know that it has ever been that easy to save money. It takes discipline. Nothing worthwhile is easy. If you want to own a truck, then you will need to find a way to cut expenses and commit to saving money. If it were that easy, everyone would own truck. If you want to achieve success you will need to be disciplined. It is easy to find excuses why you can't do something. But, there is always a way to achieve your dream if you are willing to do what is necessary. Most people spend a lot of money that they don't even know. If you want to see where your money goes, get a notebook and list every single thing you purchase, regardless of the amount. I guarantee you that you are spending money that you never realized. For instance, you could save on coffee or soft drinks by buying in bulk or making coffee in your truck. Or, you could skip both and drink water. You don't need to buy water, buy a thermos and fill it up for free at any truck stop. You could buy an electric cooler or refrigerator. Buy some groceries and eat out of your truck. That alone will save a lot of money. Stop going to movies or buying movies to watch, if that is something you normally do. Make a budget and stick to it. You don't need to deny yourself of every pleasure, but budget for it. If you have a problem putting a budget together, then buy some envelopes. Write on each envelope what you need to pay. For instance, you could write "RENT" or "MORTGAGE" on one envelope. On others you can write "ELECTRIC" and each utility expense or put all of your monthly utilities on one envelope. Do all of your monthly bills this way and don't forget to make one envelope for "SAVINGS." Most people are paid weekly. When you get paid, put that portion of your monthly bills in each envelope. By the time the bill is due, you have the funds to pay them. If you are often late paying bills, try to pay on line so that you can make sure to pay in a timely manner. Those late charges can mount up. If you have credit cards, get rid of them. Use a debit card unless you can afford to pay your card purchases off in full each month. Interest is very expensive. Look at your credit card statement. When you pay the minimum or don't pay off your credit card purchases each month, you waste a lot of money. All that interest you pay could be going into your savings.

You should save something out of each paycheck. Most Americans live from paycheck to paycheck. Everything from groceries to fuel is expensive. If you can't find a way to save money for your dream, then perhaps you need to stay a company driver. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a company driver. You can earn a very good living and not have the responsibility of owning the truck. All of us who have owned trucks for any length of time found a way to save money to get started. I made my mind up to save enough to pay cash for my first truck and trailer. Others who post on this forum also made up their minds up to save for their dream. It can be done. You may not want to wait until you can afford to pay cash, but you will need to save for a good down payment and for some working capital. For everything we achieve, we will sacrifice something. Everyone who has achieved success has made a sacrifice to achieve their goal. You need to ask yourself what you are willing to sacrifice in order to achieve your dream. Success doesn't just happen. It is planned. Spend a little time with your thoughts and a composition book. Write down your dream and then find a way to make it happen.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    npok, jason6541, blade and 7 others Thank this.
  9. ridgerunner77

ridgerunner77 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2013
    That's some honest and truthful advice right there G/MAN.its sad that a lot of people will pay no attention to it though

10. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

A lot ask how to do things but at the same time they also DO NOT LIKE BEING TOLD WHAT TO DO and that is is why the fail

11. Mr&MrsPete

Mr&MrsPete Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Stockton, CA
    Trust me there are a lot of company drivers that have no business being owner operators. Usually no discipline is the problem.However G/Man does not take into account that all the sacrifice in the world doesnt make up for cold hard cash

Dan.S and Jarhed1964 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.