Who has the BEST company training for NEW GRADS?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Trucker4Truth, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Trucker4Truth

Trucker4Truth Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Looking for top-notch training for NEW CDL GRADS even if the training pay is not great. Also, looking for companies that put a great emphasis on advanced backing skills. This is a MUST.

Anyone?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Your location would help. And are you looking for otr, local?
    @Chinatown can help

4. Trucker4Truth

Trucker4Truth Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan. OTR, Regional or Local is fine with me.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    in CDL school they are only going to get you ready to learn how to back, which you learn in the real world.

Backing a truck in between cones the exact same way over and over again, in perfect ideal conditions, isnt how you will be backing at a truck stop. It just gets you the hang of going in reverse.

Live in the real world is learning to back.

6. quatto

quatto Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    @TravR1 is right. There is no school that will be able to teach you the kind of backing that you will need in the real world. That all comes through repetition in varied settings. Go super slow when you're not sure and remember "Goal" --get out and look. Even a seasoned driver will GOAL if they are smart.

Also, try and relax. I know it's difficult to do at times but being overly tense messes with your fine muscle control and your mental awareness. Relax, use the mirrors, hang your head out the window, and GOAL (several times, if needed). And don't sweat it. After 500 you'll be almost perfect. ;-)

7. jdimes

jdimes Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2011
    somewhere, usa
    Backing takes repetitive doing to get better at it and still you’ll find days where you can’t put it in the whole to save your life, doesn’t matter if you’ve been driving 2 weeks or 20 years

Trucker4Truth, TravR1 and sevenmph Thank this.
  8. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    Yeah it’s more on the “trainer” you end up with and your own ability

Trucker4Truth Thanks this.
  9. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I'll second that. I have only ever done city p&d until the past month or two so I have never had a choice but to get good at backing and quick. That being said I still have my days where I can't back in a straight line for some reason lol.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you really want advanced backing skills, have the dispatch get you loads going to the old Produce Markets where your tractor needs to be at a 90 degree angle with your trailer against the docks that they have.

Ive always said I am a god at backing. But this is the kind of backing Ive paid a yard jockey 10.00 to verbally talk me into such a position with a tractor there.

Trucker4Truth Thanks this.
  11. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I was lucky. I got my CDL when I worked for UPS and they would let me play in the yard after I was done my package car route for the day so I had a decent grasp on it before they had me work with a trainer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.