Who has the BEST company training for NEW GRADS?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Trucker4Truth, Sep 16, 2019.

1. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Every one disses this company. Yet they taught me more useful info about proper sleep and aspects that drivers dont normally consider when driving.
    I started with CR England. Dont sign any lease agreement until after you have driven at least 6 months. You want to have some reserve cash flow.

x1Heavy, Trucker4Truth and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I worked as a yard jockey for about 10 months. It really sharpened my backing skills and helped me learn how to "set up" my trailer. I had to refine procedures a bit when I got a sleeper truck job. Good luck!

lovesthedrive and Trucker4Truth Thank this.
  4. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Setup and seat time. No replacement for either.

5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I just saw you have already graduated. My bad, I was distracted earlier.

But honestly man, my best backs have been when I was in the drivers seat alone. I have also learned the most during those alone backs where my driving partner is asleep.

I would recommend where ever you end up, show up to the terminal a day early and just drive around and start putting it into holes. That gives you a relatively structured environment to practice in. Most drivers will probably be on their best behavior and not try to rush you like they do at truck stops and other places sometimes.

Go to a truck stop, get some orange markers, drive to the back of a truck stop and set them up right at about where neighboring trucks will be parked at 8PM and later. Practice backing it, dont hit the markers because you just hit someones Hood. Back in several different ways. Learn what works, what doesn't. Best done by yourself in my opinion. Other people commenting on every little thing might confuse you and make it harder. Thats been my experience, and I'm still learning, no where near perfect in anyway.

Most companies probably have good trainers and not so good ones. Its not the end of the world if your triner isnt so good. If you are determined, you will make it happen.

Trucker4Truth Thanks this.
  6. Trucker4Truth

Trucker4Truth Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Yes, I already got my CDL. Just wanted to know if any company had better training then others, especially backing skills. I hear Schneider, has great training but there are a mega and its all downhill from there. J B Hunt.. again another mega.

I also hear Superior Carriers has great training for tankers and Maverick for Flatbed and Glass. Hope to find a good company close to the Detroit, Michigan area for newbies like me.

Thanks for the comments!

Chinatown and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Chinatown and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    In my opinion you'll get the best backing skills, in a short period of time, pulling reefers.
    Go with a refrigerated trucking company. Here's some that hire new cdl school grads in your area.
    NTB Trucking is regional- www.ntbtrk.com
    SRT - www.southernref.com - OTR and will reimburse cdl school tuition back to you.
    Green Transportation - Holland, Michigan - runs teams to west coast and back.
    Thomas E. Keller Trucking - runs eastern states.
    Schuster - www.schusterco.com - runs west coast.
    Transway Inc. - Holland, MI - regional - www.transwayinc.com
    Magnum Ltd. - www.drivemagnum.com - super good reputation
    Freymiller - www.drive4freymiller.com - click on "Recent Grads" - coast to coast.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Trucker4Truth Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.