Who has the right of way in these situations?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by expedite_it, Nov 21, 2021.

1. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    I've never crashed.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    What if courtesy and common sense trump right of way. Those scenerios happen all the time that lead to what we In Tejas call a mexican standoff. Blue truck may need to clear out of the way for the red truck to enter whether it has right of way or not. Instead of holding back and letting blue clear out Red proceeds with me first mentality and creates an even more dangerous cluster as he either clips blues hood or stops and blocks lanes cause it doesnt have a clear safe open spot to get in to the entrance.

4. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    RULE#1....when in mexican standoff ...never bring a knife to a gun fight.. Bang Bang...your dead

5. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    I totally agree that "Little road yields to big road" is an excellent, common sense way of understanding the right of way. I use the "little road yields to big road" rule myself whenever I drive. Today I just re-read the rules of right away in the Georgia Drivers Manual that I linked in post #7, and, oddly enough, the Georgia Drivers Manual does not say anything to the effect of "Little road yields to big road". I wonder why the Georgia Drivers Manual does not say something like "Little road yields to big road".

6. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    I agree that secondary roads should yield to primary roads, tertiary roads yields to secondary. Don't get me wrong. But, strangely, the Georgia Drivers Manual never actually states this in the right of way rules. If you don't believe me, click on the link to the Georgia Drivers Manual right of rules in post #7.

7. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    The linked page says:
    • If you are about to enter or cross a highway from an alley, private road or highway, you must stop and yield the right-of-way to all other pedestrians and vehicles already traveling on the roadway or sidewalk you are entering or crossing;
    Also, that linked page is just a paraphrase of the actual Georgia traffic code. The relevant section from the actual code are:

40-6-70. Right of way rule for vehicles approaching or entering intersection.
    (a) When two vehicles approach or enter an intersection from different highways at approximately the same time, the driver of the vehicle on the left shall yield the right of way to the vehicle on the right, provided that when a vehicle approaches or enters an intersection with no stop signs or other traffic-control devices from a highway that terminates at the intersection, the driver of that vehicle shall yield the right of way to the other vehicle, whether the latter vehicle be on such driver’s right or left.

40-6-73. Entering or crossing roadway.
    The driver of a vehicle about to enter or cross a roadway from any place other than another roadway shall yield the right of way to all vehicles approaching on the roadway to be entered or crossed.

8. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    Yeah. None of that says that a secondary road has to yield to a primary road. Saying that a vehicle on private property has to yield to any vehicle on the public streets is not the same as saying that a secondary road has to yield to a primary road. Saying that a vehicle on private property has to yield to any vehicle on the public streets is about private property vs. public streets, not secondary roads vs. primary roads.

The text you quoted never even uses the words primary or secondary.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  9. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Not every state explicitly has that in the statutes. Smaller public roads intersecting larger ones should have a stop sign or yield sign. If they don't, then 40-6-70 should normally apply.

10. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    In other words, you are agreeing with what I wrote in posts #24 and #25.

11. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    62p05a.jpg

expedite_it Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.