Who is 100% on their own here?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Mattflat362, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I am thinking my guy is full of #### maybe????

Me: I think I am overthinking this....if we have a "spare" truck...no one even needs to know if it is safely parked? We would just call our agent one day and add/swap trucks...and then un-do it the next week or month or whatever, right?

Him: When you ask to take a vehicle off a policy that has authority, I am required to get either a Lease Termination (leased vehicle) or a Bill of Sale. We are back to All Owned, Leased or anything that could operate for you. (This does not include private passenger vehicles)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    More from him:

If there is authority, some companies will allow for Limited Usage on the policy, (minimum radius, no cargo & possible no physical damage, etc.), but, it would still be scheduled for the Liability. The problem is going to be when the main truck breaks down or has some kind of issue on a weekend or possibly holiday or late at night and you won’t have anybody to contact and you are not going to let a high dollar load just walk away because you can’t get a hold of someone. These companies have spent millions defending these types of Lawsuits and they still loose. If you Do Not have authority, you can own 6 trucks and have 6 different types of coverages and restrictions, but, when you have authority, you are on a totally different level of responsibility to the public.

Every company that I know of, ask the same questions on their applications when it comes to having authority:

1) Are all vehicles that are owned scheduled?

2) Are all vehicles that operate under the authority scheduled on this policy?

If not please explain, I have never had a company agree to write coverages if you have vehicles that are not scheduled. You should call a Great West Agency and confirm, because it sounds like that article has you convinced otherwise.

Jim

4. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Here's a flow chart to help you figure that out:
    1. Is he an insurance agent? If yes, go to step 2.
    2. He's full of ####.

And if you give him neither, what's he going to do? I started at Progressive with a box truck. Paid insurance in full. Decided to get rid of it, and get the semi truck and trailer. It was as simple as them writing the new policy, and me paying the difference.

jamespmack, ChevyCam and Mattflat362 Thank this.
  5. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    He seems either ignorant, full of crap, or willfully grumpy and stuck in his ways.

6. ChevyCam

ChevyCam Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    This is exactly what I am looking for and looks like I need to reach out to Great West.

I am big on PM but I would like to avoid the downtime if it is a repair that Im not comfortable handling myself and the good shops are backed up in my area.

Greedy Agent is right. Im just looking for the best option which would allow me to switch the primary truck on my policy with a phone call and I can roll out. Both trucks plated and ready to roll. I have a dedicated run that I want to keep rolling.

7. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    ^^^EXACTLY!!!

8. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I have reached out to Great West as well as another Progressive agent more local to me.

9. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Our 86 is a spare, always has comp/collision. Before I move it out of the driveway I have to call and put it on the policy. Then when I park it again have it taken back to just comp/collision. I am with progressive as bad as I hate it cause they were cheaper than Great West by several grand. I will try to remember to ask her exactly how she does that next time I talk to her, and report back

10. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    The agent definitely seems like a dick. In some ways he is correct, but in some ways he is not. Yes, it will still need to be insured, but on spare status is heavily discounted because it’s not moving anywhere. I hadn’t heard of this until the covid shut down. We had a few trucks empty and great west offered to let us use spare status to save money. You have to put them back active before running them but it’s helpful if the truck isnt being ran. If they catch you cheating this, which they will, then you’ll get cancelled.

My guess is you also need to have less drivers active on the policy then trucks insured. That wouldn’t be a problem for a single op with 2 trucks though.

11. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I’ll add that it wasn’t a covid only thing. I have one empty now and have it on spare.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.