who is responsible? to provide an ELD Company or driver

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by wa6ems, Nov 19, 2023.

1. wa6ems

wa6ems Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2012
    La Pine, Oregon
    I was wondering who is responsible. to make sure there is a ELD in the truck as a company driver. The reason I ask is because my company has decided to rip out the people net units out of the trucks. and force us drivers to provide or own ELD device though some app called Motive using my personal phone.

Which I refuse to I feel like that is crossing the line my phone is my phone they are not paying for it. and could that open me up to some liability issue if the company ever faced some lawsuit since my phone would be used for business purposes.

Has any of u face the same thing before. can a company claim you quit for not doing what they ask.

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Iamoverit

Iamoverit Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    You're responsible for logging your hours but the carrier can choose any method they legally want to. I don't blame you for not wanting to use your personal phone and I wouldn't drive for them either. It's a bad sign that they're too broke to get you a company phone to use.

4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    They cant make you use your personal phone. The company can choose any ELD software they want, but if it requires a phone, they have to provide it. If they provide company phone, you gotta use it if that's their system & you wanna work there.
    I'm not gonna get in the disagreement between you & your company but my advice is not to use your phone for their company business.

Now, you both can come to an agreement for the company to pay for part of your phone bill for company use. Some people do that in order to get loads or such info. I don't recommend or support this but people do it.

5. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Most companies mine included provide a tablet with prepaid internet when using motive .. around 75% of our guys use their own phone because it’s simpler . I believe it’s under half a gig a month on the data use. I have alerts shut off and it’s unnoticeable that it’s installed.PS whatever way you go just remember it needs a holder facing driver so clocks are visible. That’s why I like my phone I set motive on dark mode to keep light down at night .

6. Superuke

Superuke Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2020
    Canada

7. Superuke

Superuke Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2020
    Canada

8. Superuke

Superuke Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2020
    Canada
    Now I could be wrong, but I’m fairly certain that having your ELD on you personal phone is not allowed, it must be contained on a separate device, it can be on a phone, just not the 1 you currently use as your personal phone

ihaveaquestion Thanks this.
  9. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    That is not true. I ran Keep Truckin, now motive I Believe, for three years with my previous company. Had several inspections road side and scales and the fact my logs were on my phone was never an issue

10. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    I don't know you or the company but I'd leave them like yesterday. If they are required to have ELD units and it's a company truck or leased truck then the company has to provide them period. The only time a driver provides them is an O/O/ Period.

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    They should provide you a tablet or phone if they want to run Motive for their ELD. I had my own tablet because I was running Motive on my own when I was using my friend’s authority. When I leased on where I am now they wouldn’t allow me to use my tablet and gave me one to put in the truck.

Another option if your company doesn’t want to get tablets for everyone they can get burner phones at Walmart for you guys to run your logs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.