Who to lease on with? Smaller companies preferred.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Liquidforce, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    why would you be battling the insurance companies for anything?

Maybe you should think of leasing at the start or maybe thinking of selling out and going into something else.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Liquidforce

Liquidforce Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Savannah GA
    Try and find an insurer that will insure 3-5 trucks on a new Authority, running intermodal. That’s what I’m battling.

As the title said I’m looking at all options, leasing on is one, potentially buy an existing Authority is two, selling out and not doing it doesn’t feature on my list, that’s a defeated attitude.

4. Liquidforce

Sep 27, 2016
    Savannah GA
    Own trucks company drivers. Less than 50 mile radius from home base, staying in the state of GA, but still registered as in interstate operation due to the commodity carried.

5. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I wouldn't have an issue with getting insurance.

Selling out isn't a real defeat, it may be smart because of the amount of time you spent just trying to find insurance. Leasing would be the best but then I would lease to get the trucks rolling, not worry about what you haul at this point.

6. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Ridge is right. Profits are profits. If you can lease up and turn a profit, who the hell cares what type of work it is.

7. Liquidforce

Sep 27, 2016
    Savannah GA
    I’m glad you wouldn’t have an issue getting insurance, but exactly how that pertains to my particular situation...

I’m all ears if you have some insurance guru tucked away that will take this risk profile on, I’ve drawn a blank and my search has been fairly thorough.

As the title of the thread says, “who to lease on with” that’s seems to be getting lost somehow. I have no issue with leasing on, and getting rolling that way, hence the reason this post exists in the first place.

I have a very tidy contract in place, I have no desire to look for further work at this point. I’ll just keep chipping away till I crack the code.

8. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
  9. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I get that, maybe putting the trucks with LS would help you leverage your work by working with an agent to get you into the system and using their insurance to lower your costs. Take the hit up front with the contract revenue until you can work on your own insurance.

That's one possibility.

the other is to reach out with a small carrier who is willing to take a few points off the top to work under. Use their insurance and sub-contract the work with them to cover it. It may be less than what LS or that size carrier would take, but it is also doable.

10. JHCoremark

JHCoremark Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2018
    CA
    Were you outright declined coverages or given huge numbers? Insurance is real hesitant on new ventures and/or new DOTs.

11. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.