Who's hiring and where?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by AModelCat, Apr 20, 2020.

1. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^^ Second that. Sorry to hear also, man.

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV

I feel ya, known a few who do just that.

I was just trying to throw you out a few options that might be better fit for someone with some road time. I mean Swifts flatbed division is alot different than the van division as it stands. But there are many options in front of you. Granted in this screwy freight market its a good question of who is and is not hiring.

Good luck on the moving back over.

Im sure theres a few here who might have suggestions, or several places in the forum where they might have good suggestions for flatbed in the area you are interested in residing.

dancecanyon and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    So what's a fella need to run a small truck inter-provincially? Looks like a fella would need an MVID, commercial registration/insurance and an SFC. Seems like a bit of a pain in the ### for running an F350 dually.

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    MVID you've already got (it's on your licence) :D

An MVID for a carrier is NBD; just when you register the vehicle.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    FerrissWheel and AModelCat Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That seems like a ton of headache for a guy who just wants to pull wrenches in another province for a couple months with an F350 to F550 sized truck.

Might be better off with an F250 and just register it for 4,499 kg? Is that allowed?

7. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    It has been ages since I've looked at the regs. for anything that small, but IIRC, yes, you can register it for whatever you like. You just can't exceed the registered amount.

If this is a temporary gig, you could probably fly under the radar for a while. You would just want to make sure you don't look or act like a commercial operator in any manner. Be forewarned, BC is pretty adept at shutting guys down and there are a ton of people that will turn you in, in a heartbeat. Someone sees you doing a job with out-of-province plates and there ya go. Especially when things are slow, locals tend to not take too kindly to furriners taking work.

If you're going to work for someone and you're "not using your own vehicle as a service vehicle" then it doesn't matter. Generally: Alberta is reasonably loosey-goosey; Saskatchewan, well, they just don't have much in the way of enforcement, but BC can be pretty tough.

AModelCat and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  8. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Always be mindful of the ever looming liability and legal issues as well. If you haven't crossed your "Ts" and dotted your "Is" and the SHTF, you could be in for a world of hurt.

I know, I know... it'll never happen to you. ;)

9. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'd like to be legit about it. I'm not a fan of those scabs that come in and undercut by doing things on the cheap. Possibly have a couple months work on the backburner later this summer. For what it is, its not worth the trouble of running the bigger truck. Staying under 4,500 kg is probably my best option to start with.

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    No logging up there.......? Will government pay you to stay home ...?

FerrissWheel and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The government is supposedly paying $500/week. Not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, I've prided myself on never taking a handout. Didn't need their help getting to where I am today. On the other hand, I've paid lots in taxes. Be nice to actually get something back from them for once.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.