Who's The Worst Of Them ALL to work for?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by MACK E-6, Jan 28, 2006.

Who's the worst of them all?

1. *

Swift Transportation.

22.7%
  2. *

JB Hunt.

8.8%
  3. *

Werner

11.4%
  4. *

Covenant Transport.

5.2%
  5. *

(New) Prime Inc.

3.8%
  6. *

CR England.

21.3%
  7. *

Other

27.1%
  1. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

I ran across a post on another site in 2005 that worked along those lines. Some guy came on and described the truck he had just bought. A Pete 387, big engine, trans, and from the price it sounded like a fairly decent deal on a nice truck. He was going on about his plans to haul with it and be an owner operator. Then in the very last sentence, he asked the question "What do I have to do to get a commercial license".

I laughed until I cried over that one. And I included it in the annual end of the year posts thread I do on another site.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. themlilboots

themlilboots Heavy Load Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Awe Burky that was a good one...thanx for the laugh......

4. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Hey now, don't you know anything? Reynolds wrap only works if you double it up, substandard grade tinfoil they try and pass off nowadays.

That being said, I'd like a box too, maybe it will keep the Qualcomm Mind Control Rays out! :toothy10:

5. Aussie

Aussie <strong>Thunder From DownUnder</strong>

May 7, 2006
    Lynchburg, VA
    They are an entity unto them selfs and they don't care one iota about what a driver or the public think of them - the bottom line they want is the $$$$ and plenty of it!

6. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

I am sending a large size box of a quality brand of tinfoil. They have to double it up when they make the hats. Tip and his friends will have to take some responsibility for doing the hats the right way. and once he starts his trucking company, I suggest we all keep a close eye on his parking lot. First time you see a parked truck, you know that he is reaping money from it being parked.

7. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Sounds like somebody's trying to discourage a skeptical mind and make him think he doesn't know what he's talking about. The more stink I raise about my effort to blow a few whistles the more determined I am to blow those whistles.

Those letters are gonna get written, so put away your hammers. They're not stopping me.

I'll even post a copies here when I'm done. Something is going on in trucking, actually many "somethings". Maybe a wannabe in D.C. will tell us why we see what we do.

8. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Please Tip, go ahead and write your letters. There are drivers out there who haul for mail contractors who depend on letters being passed from one end of the country to another. If you writing a letter can contibute to the country's economy and the income of even one driver by mailing out a letter, it is a noble thing to do.

And mailing that one letter, and spending the 39 cents to mail it will have more positive effect than all the theories you have come up with so far.

9. dirtypockets405

dirtypockets405 Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Delevan,NY
    Hey Ive had 2 bad companies to work for. First one I worked for was Point Dedicated out of Troy Michigan. I was a memeber of the NY Army National Guard and was called to 9-11 in NY City for 15 weeks. When I got back my boss hassled me so much, He ended up letting me go for some BS reason. So I did the run around looking for a decent local job.. But found alot of dead ends. I finally hooked up with the company Midwest Transit (MTI) who hauled mail for the US Postal Service. Good paying job and decent money. I worked for the for about 15 months and then got called up to go to Iraq. So between Iraq and active duty I was gone 27 months.So now under Federal law I have 180 days to seek re-employment. So I took 30 days off to unwind and find a place to stay. I finally called them to get my job back and they told me they only had to hold my job for 1 yr. Dirty ########!! So Im going to look for an OTR job. But in the mean time I contacted an attorney and the Attorney General of NY.. Im gonna SUE these Pricks!!!

10. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I think you are going to run into the "herding cats" problem with truckers. Burky is pretty, well, stuck in his ways, as far as I can see. And alot of people don't understand how the "other" world works, and how the trucking world is different. I can see both, even though I am very new to trucking, but I can also see the "cat herding" problem you are going to have with trying to get a group of truckers to agree on anything. It is, after all, the main reason alot of people went into trucking, and why, the companies have been able to get away with this stuff for so long.

If you tried to run a bank and tell the tellers they would be paid by how many dollar bills they pushed across their desk, work 7 days a week with no OT, and they had to sleep in the bank vault as well, see how long your bank would stay open.

Heck, alot of people have a hard time understanding a credit report, and how it works, and how debt is something a "real man just pays off" Welcome to 2007, things work a bit different now.

11. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Burky is many many things, but stuck in his ways is not one of them. I am about as open minded a person towards this industry and change as you will find. The fact that I don't subscribe to Tip's theories doesn't mean that I don't have an open mind, it''s just substantial proof that I don't have an empty head.

I typically read and check on 5 different trucking web sites, and actually this is the one of the smallest ones. On some of the others, they have a specific tax forum as well as a legal forum, moderated by professional tax accountants and lawyers who specialize in truck related transportation law, and yet no one has ever heard of the mysterious tax breaks that make up Tip's theory of why trucks are parked. Somehow, this tax break made it through the entire legislative process secretly, and it is a part of the federal tax code only being made use of by a few large companies in the Salt Lake area. Do you really believe that this strange little codocil in the tax code exists and only a few companies are able to take advantage of it?

Companies do get some tax credits for training programs, and in some cases there is an argument for turnover. The potential argument doesn't match up with Tip's facts, but nonetheless, there are some reasons why a large self insured company would be able to take advantage of their turnover rates. Since they have a sliding pay scale, they are able to pay a trainee driver on the bottom end of the scale less for the work that they do, and if they can get a long enough period of work out of the driver, the it does indeed add to their bottom line. But to say that a company manages it's turnover and makes the best use of it is a far cry from saying that the companies intentially cause the turnover.

I have never bought into his theory that you can learn everything you need to know about a company, it's policies, and it's jobs by driving past the lot at 8 am on a Monday morning and observing the lot as you drive past at 55 mph. I had to put in some real time and effort to find my employer, and I am somewhat envious of his incredible investigative abilities. I had to spend time in parking lots and truckstops talking to drivers, checking web sites, pulling up safety data on the computer, and a whole passel of things that he doesn't have to do. He can just drive by, with te windows up, and look casually over his shoulder and understand all there is to know about a potential employer. Somehow, he should be able to put that skill to use and make a fortune with it as a private investigator.

As for the letters he claims that he is going to write to the incoming Speaker of the house, what makes you think that anyone above the level of a junior aide in her office will ever see the contents? Then, at most, he will get a nice form letter from her, about what you can expect the response to be to a voter who isn't even from her state or district. If the letter is filled with the same "x-files" conspiracy nonsense that he peddles on here, it will soon find itself filed in the circular file.

People that want to can listen to his theories, and read the goofy little "songs" that he puts in as a signature line and feel that they have found the next Jimmy Hoffa who is going to lead them out of the desert wasteland and into the promised lands. What I see, instead of the new trucking messiah, is someone who drove for a relatively short period of time with one of the training carriers, gave up or somehow ended up without a commercial license, and now wants everyone to listen to his advice on everything and anything concerning trucking. If he wants to establish some credibility on the subject, it would help greatly if he actually worked in some small way in the business. If you buy his theory that he isn't going to go back into trucking and getting a license because he doesn't want to subject himself to the potential indignities of the training process, then fine. But I come at that claim with a healthy dose of skepticism.

If I were a driver at one of those carriers, and wasn't happy with my situation, then I too might be amenable to almost any theory that explained it, simply because it made me feel better about my situation. But the cold hard fact remains that almost any theory you may have read has no basis in fact, and is just the ramblings of one unhappy former driver.

Open mind, yes, Empty head, No!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.