Why 60,000 miles & or 3-4 months training?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by _Nvy_, Jun 3, 2009.

1. _Nvy_

_Nvy_ Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2009
    I will be attending Primes company driver orientation on June 10,2009 having already obtained my cdl & as many others already know my pain when i say i have searched high n low all thruout middle earth & everything in between before making my decision to join on to Prime. The one thing i havent really seen answered in these forums is why does Prime have such a long training period, 60,000 miles or 3-4 months before you earn your wings & fly solo.?

I have done the math & searched line by line many other companys & i think the majority of them want maybe a minimum of 28-40 days? Then you stand alone & go off and prove your worth. Now please understand im not complaining as i would much rather have a much richer learning curve to better myself in the future but it's just something i was curious about.

Thx in advance guys.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    Just want to make sure you know that the 60k is team dispatched miles. its not an OR 3-4 months situation. You and your trainer do 60k together. I got mine done in 8-9 weeks.

beyond that its an additional 20k miles team with your trainer or solo as a company driver to lease a truck. I could have stayed with my trainer and knocked out that 20k quickly but I knew I was going solo company anyway and I thought it was "now or never" to cut the cord.

I found it a good experiance, and still didnt completely prepare me for going solo. It was a good decision, for me... it took me 2.5 months to get that final 20k where I went from .30/mile to the .34/mile you get when you reach 80k. Conversely its an added advantage in that your the milage toward vacation time starts when you upgrade to Solo.

There is alot to learn out there. Its not just driving a truck, and there are alot of procedures and situations that arent seen everyday, nor easily explained. You wouldnt want to get stuck with a claims billl because a load got rejected and you didnt follow procedures.

Have I had claims, yes... I have I been stuck with a bill or placed at fault, no... I follow procedures to cover my butt.

Ive been solo now for 10 months now, and looking back upon all the additional stuff I had to learn on my own... the 60k is not excessive...

4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    :yes2557:Actually, the Prime requirement is a good thing. 1-3 weeks training ain't enough to be solo. You can bet all the trucks you see in the ditch/rolled over/ wiping out fire hydrants on right turns/backing into fences at truck stops/ and tweeked front bumpers are being driven by 3 week wonders. :yes2557:

5. Tnman03

Tnman03 Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Tn
    Good point Allowme. I was thinking the same thing myself. Im going to orientation June 16 to Prime because of their long training program, being I never have even sat in a "big truck" before. Hope it gives me just that much more learning from an experienced driver.

6. channel 19

channel 19 Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2009
    michigan
    u 2 i thought u - iron pony were team drivers.i also been reading that some people been going to prime with cdl already on hand . i thought prime wasn't taking people with cdl

7. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    Nope, neither of us are team drivers.

Ive stopped commenting on what we do and do not take, where they live, or how much experiance... etc.

mostly I am proved wrong by someone on here who is either accepted or denied.

I will forever defer on this subject to the Prime recruitment phone number.

8. _Nvy_

_Nvy_ Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Well all i can say is the school i attended works hand in hand w/ MANY different trucking companys thruout the industry,Prime being one of them & the school incorporates a job placement program at or before you graduate school and obtain your cdl. They have you fill out anywhere from 5-15 applications & they buzz em off to all these different Trucking companys & basically you sit & wait for your job placement coordinator to contact you saying "Hey, you got a job". You then follow up & speak w/ your recruiter & make arrangements.

So, here ( I ) am, lol.

I have heard the same thing thruout not just this forum but a select few others i along w/ U2,iron & a few others frequent, thats rite U2 , i post at a similar forum & you never knew,lol.

Back on subject i heard Prime wasnt accepting cdl drivers either & i was hesitant but when i spoke w/ my recruiter she invited me down, does this mean i have a job? I dont know, your guess is as good as mine. I'm sure i have to prove to them like anyone else i'm road worthy & not just another hot headed flunky! :biggrin_25516:

9. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I've seen a lot of the fine drivers trained quickly by other outfits (heard about two new CDLs driving for PTL training each other!!) struggling. Can't back, too tired to park, make mistakes - and the worst - end up dead. This is a dangerous business, and you can make a fatal mistake - for you or someone else - quite easily.

Besides... the longer apprenticeship keeps those voracious liability attorneys at bay!

10. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    All i know is that PRIME isnt hiring out of Idaho until the economy improves.

11. _Nvy_

_Nvy_ Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Well nothin for nothin i meant to include time served at the cdl school i went to & it slipped my mind, the school i went to was an upstanding school in MY opinion, i was trained on campus in a class room in excess of 6 weeks 4 days a week 8hr days. I was then trained on site in the yard in excess of 7 or so weeks 8hr days 3 days a week in maneuvers/pre-trip/mechanics etc.

The last 3 or 4 weeks we did road 8hr days 3 days a week up until graduation. All in all i beleive we had somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-80hrs driving time (Not legitimate facts,rough guess). Dont have my paperwork here in front of me.

So what im getting at is this wasnt just your run of the mill 2 week course take a test and bing bang boom your done! We actually was taught rather than rushed thru everything. All in all it wound up being a 16 week course. And from what im gathering with prime is now i get to do that entire 16 week course all over again which is fine with me i mean as i said earlier i want a rich learning experience and have the best knowledge overall before hitting the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.