Why 60,000 miles & or 3-4 months training?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by _Nvy_, Jun 3, 2009.

1. TruckerMike

TruckerMike Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Chicago
    I have just over 40k of my training done and have been on the truck for about 10 weeks now. If you take out home-time and our truck being down for repairs, we've averaged almost exactly 5,000 miles per week since I got on the truck. So you can expect to be with your trainer for roughly 12 weeks if neither of you go home, your truck doesn't go into the shop, etc....give or take. When I first joined up with Prime, I was a bit turned off of the fact that I'd need to spend so much time in training before I went solo. I almost took a job with FFE since their training is only 6 weeks, but decided on Prime in the end. I'm glad I did. Let me tell you, 6 weeks is not long enough for students to be in training. Anybody can run down the expressway in one of these trucks, but it's the unknown situations that you'll find yourself in that you'll be glad your trainer is there. There's much more to this business than setting the cruise control. I'm actually still a little nervous to head out solo, not because I think I'll be dangerous to myself or anyone else, but simply due to those unknowns that I'll come accross and now I'll be all alone to deal with it. Eeek. It does help that I have a kick-##### trainer though. Couldn't have asked for better.

Bottom line is Prime has the best training program out of any of these other "training companies." If I had known it was so good, I wouldn't have even attended a private CDL school. I would have just started with Prime from the very start.

Anyway, don't mean to sound like a recruiter here. Everybody's experience is going to be different. A lot of people will hate Prime and think they are crooks. I just happen to be one of the guys who is proud to work for Prime.

stevenater Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. _Nvy_

_Nvy_ Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Awesome to hear Mike, I'm looking forward to starting my career w/ Prime no matter the negative most folk's like to toss out at (ALL) the companys surrounding the trucking industry, I gotta get my future started somewhere,i dont care if it prime,ffe,roehl or whoever,you browse the forums its the SAME darn thing everywhere you look & read. Some not so much some more so, But 1 thing is for sure, we ALL took the same gamble and we all learned from that gamble wether it good or bad.

I'm #### ready to take on that gamble & im also ready to learn from it (Rinse & Repeat).

4. TruckerMike

TruckerMike Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Chicago
    Generally, the larger the company, the more negatives you'll find. That's simply due to the sheer numbers. As an example, I've spoken with a ton of Swift drivers out here on the road and the vast majority of them seem pretty happy. We all have gripes about whatever company we're with, but for the most part they like Swift. You wouldn't guess it by reading the Swift threads on this forum though. And since I've gotten out here, I've learned that when these people are complaining about a specific company, usually their complaints stem from, and have much more to do with, the OTR lifestyle rather than the company itself. There are some exceptions to the rule and some companies are just plain bad. But for the most part, these training companies are all about the same. You might get less pay at one place but more miles, you might have a nice truck but one that's governed to a slow speed, you might not have forced dispatch but have a terrible dispatching crew, etc. It all pretty much evens out in the end. Not all companies are for everybody. Prime seems to be a perfect fit for me. But then again, I don't have a family and barely ever need to get home. Some people might like a company where they get home more often. But again, there will be a trade off. Just try to find a company that is the right fit for you, commit yourself to at least one year, then you can search for another company if you aren't happy. It seems like the one year mark is a pretty substantial mark for OTR drivers. It'll open many more doors for you. But that's assuming this economy begins to recover at some point. That one year mark has stretched out much further these days.

Good luck again to you and I wish you much success with whatever company you decide on.

5. txranger28

txranger28 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2009
    Baltimore, MD

6. Tnman03

Tnman03 Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Tn
    Hey txranger, where you going to orientation at. Im guessing PA from where your from. Im headed to Mo that same date. Good luck and be safe.

7. txranger28

May 25, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes sir, I'm off to Pittston although after looking at the Millenium building, maybe that would be a little nicer!

I have a question though, is this a 3 or 5 day orientation?

Good luck Tnman, wish you the best.

8. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    It's a whole PILE nicer than PITTston! That being said, I like the shop in Pittston a heck of a lot better than the one in Springfield. Perhaps you won't be tripping over all the piled-up students waiting for an instructor in Pittston.

OTOH, the place has improved greatly since it was the old TRL dump! Good luck all of you guys!

9. txranger28

May 25, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks ironpony!

I hope the "wait time" is a little shorter in Pittston. From what I've read on the recent forums, the Springfield rooms are filled and students/trainees are stockpiled in the overflow area as well!

Prime either anticipates a BOOM or they'll have to do some serious weeding!

10. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    You're welcome!

It's both. Looks like the Prime honchos are expecting the usual sequence - transportation leads economic recovery, with that happening in the near future. Hope their crystal ball is right!

OTOH, not everyone is cut out to be a driver, nor can everyone perform up to expectations. There are a lot of new drivers on the board U2 and I are dispatched off of, and we still see a lot of messages from our FM concerning late loads, citations, accidents, etc. All of which will lead you on the road of pursuing your professional driving career somewhere else.

11. txranger28

May 25, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey Ironpony, I have a question. I've read Prime's website and spoke to my recruiter, I've been told to bring my work history and information needed to fill out my application again.

What is the purpose of submitting an application online along with work history and references, receiving a pre-hire, then having to do it all over again? Just wondering.

Lastly, I've seen where they have an, "integrity interview." Is this a one on one interview, a panel interview? Could you explain this if it was part of your process.

Thanks again and be safe.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.