Why a lease purchase can be a great opportunity!

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Thekid0902, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Chasingthesky

Chasingthesky Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Bet you could talk him into paying $1500 to find out

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thekid0902

Thekid0902 Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2017
    To all the only thing I was trying to do was give my personal way of how I plan to use my lease to gain freedom. I drive 5 years in the oil field and now this is my first experience as an operator delivering freight and I've been at this for 10 months. So yeah I'm taking the shallow approach which I call getting my feet wet using a lease purchase but my bigger concern personally is going and putting 10k down on a truck using my personal credit and something major happen.
    Some people may have the ability to ask for a loan against there personal credit for 25k to fix a motor but for me it makes more sense to have business credit not only for potential repairs but also if I write up a good business plan have the opportunity for expansion.
    Like the guy stated that earlier that I don't even have one truck how can I talk about owning a small fleet? Well some people have different goals in life and mine are beyond just driving a truck so that's how I choose to approach my outlook.

4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    That was my point ;)

Building "business" credit with poor personal credit and no D&B..

What do I know. I've met 2 guys doing lease purchases that are doing surprisingly well (IMO).
    They don't have plans and motivations as exceptionally lackluster as this one however.

CJndaTruck and spyder7723 Thank this.
  5. #1don

#1don Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    somewhere down south
    Not to mention that line of credit needs to be paid back sooner or later. So still don't see the hidden benifit. Market crashes freight dries up then what? And you have this all figured out already with only 10 months into it? Not knocking you but your business plan is only giving you nothing more then the chance to go in debt for borrowed money you WILL need to eventually pay off. No profit in that business plan... only credit. Just my opinion

Ruthless, Western flyer and scottlav46 Thank this.
  6. #1don

#1don Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    somewhere down south
    Sorry meant to reply to OP not you scottav46

scottlav46 Thanks this.
  7. #1don

#1don Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    somewhere down south
    Just another opinion.... the ones claiming fame to successfully completing a lease and owning the truck ...title in hand does not mean it was a success how much money did you bank after ALL expenses? Unless your only goal was to do nothing more then pay a truck off ,there was no success in the business model of a LP. ON the bottom line @ the end of the year after all expenses, taxes ,fuel,whatever else is involved, I'm willing to bet dollar for dollar I'll make more as a company driver than any LP. Again just MY opinion

8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    While i am no fan of of lease purchase, i do know a few that it worked out for. They made the same as a typical otr mega carrier company driver, and got the title to a trick with a little life left in it. Not much life mind you, but enough to get them going strong at a much better carrier.

I still say they would of been better off getting a better company driver job for the same time frame as they did the lp thing...but it worked out in the end for them and that's all that matters.

CJndaTruck Thanks this.
  9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Don't act
    don't act stupid now.
    You said the Op's plan was way ahead of other lease operators.
    I just asked you to explain why. And judging by all the other
    Comments on this thread you must know something
    The rest of us don't.

So why is his plan waaayy ahead of other lease operators.

10. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    @Western flyer ....if I must explain...

This is what I said:

"IF, I repeat, IF the lease is a true walk away, then you are waaaaay ahead of other L/O's out there."

Leases are either walk-away or NOT.

Some L/O are not in TRUE WALK-AWAY leases....and hence, their credit get screwed if they try to get out.

The OP confirmed that his KLLM lease is a walk-away and thus, will not have credit issues if he chooses to move on, before the end of the lease term.

That is why I said he's "waaay ahead" of those that did not ensure this clause in their lease agreement.

Keep in mind that "walking away" may mean forfeiture of down payment, and all the monies paid during the lease term, plus potential lease termination fees.....but at least, the "burden of feeling stuck" is no longer there.

OftheBull and Thekid0902 Thank this.
  11. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Now I understand. That's all I wanted to know.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.