Why a Tesla when you could have an Edison

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by AModelCat, May 20, 2023.

1. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    My opinion on this tech is that it seems like a reasonable stopgap between full electric and something actually useable. If the 20mpg is true then great it makes a lot of sense. If you can get one sans emissions #### like their test truck carl. Or if we get an electrified weight exemption like CA which is entirely posible and probable to make the tesla junk somewhat useable outside very narrow lanes, that would make these trucks pretty attractive. Additionally at 20mpg you could cut tank sizes in half and get a pretty good weight savings and dumping emissions entirely for older engines styles will save you 2k+ pounds easy maybe more.

Next the electric drive trains are going to give some pretty heavy power boosts to much lighter smaller rigs. For example that 130k weight limit on their site would be absolute overkill for my application and if the weight is simular then great. And as a last point its entirely posible it may be eligible for tax credits for a more efficent vehicle at some point which may make them quite attactive especially for a conversion. And unlike nikola which was basically a scam this wouldnt need new infrastructure and tech. It just uses what we already got in a modern manner. And they seem to be trying to use mostly off the self easy to self repair parts. There is also the fact you can plug in which tells me if electric semis catch on you can more or less ditch the APU and have CC at all times for dirt cheap prices.

There are a lot of downsides however. First the EPA and lobbys make too #### much money off def systems and will do whatever they can to throw a wrench into this. Next certain partys want us 100% electric and will do everything they can to discredit, ban it hinder this tech for the unreliable impractical crap like tesla semis regardless of if its good or not. Next is lack of service centers or anyone who knows how the feck to work on this system and that will make many skeptical (see big al engines for example) another issue is this is OLD tech thats been modernized. Thats hard stuff to attract investors with and may kill the project before it really gets moving.

Another issue is this is being made by a small team of "mechanics and drivers" with a lot of disdain for engineers. This makes small business owners like myself hesitiate to spend christ only knows how much for one of these rigs or conversions. And that is another point is the lack of easy to find pricing. It also means we want to see how these rigs hold up. Are they shop queens? How easy are they to ACTULLY work on? How quick does stuff wear out? Do you need special training to work on the electric system? Will these eat tires like teslas do? How about other equipment like PTOs and such?

Its intresting tech and seeing as unlike nikola they have production models now im going to keep my eyes on them. If after a couple years the converted rigs and production models hold up good and give the MPG advertised sure id likely do a conversion just for that since going from 6.5 to 20 MPG would be HUGE for my business. I spent almost 100k on fuel last year going to one of those woulda saved me 60k. But if they are expensive shop queens that no one can service....well ill likely pass.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The nit wits want zero emissions…. They will kill it

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Be a nice set up for a glider, or just any old Truck. Since the mechanicals are new not the other way around. Might be feasible. 20 mpg!! Sign me up!!

5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Even if it would require an emission engine the ones that run at a constant rpm all day long have a lot less problems. My cousin and his family all run newer tractors and combines and sprayers and I can’t even remember the last time he talked about emission issues. I don’t think they’ve had any in the last couple years with their new stuff. It’s easier to make something work when it will only be operating at a couple different rpm’s and not infinite rpm’s like a highway tractor.

lester, Cat sdp, Isafarmboy and 2 others Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  7. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I’ve been running Diesel Electric (AC and DC) on drilling rigs for over 25 years and they got the technology from Trains who had it for who knows…
    I think Diesel Electric is definitely the way to go. Think of the possibilities, you could have drive motors on your trailer as well. No more spinning out on a hill or maybe even less chaining up? Hell, you could have motors on the truck’s front axle as well. Might be good.

8. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Ive been watching these guys to, I think it is a step in the right direction and would work alot better than full electric, I might find a cheap old truck and convert it if they come out with conversion kits, just to test it out would be a fun experiment

AModelCat Thanks this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan

Maybe I'm not actually biased against electric vehicles. Maybe its that most just look like dog####. You just can't beat an old school BC logging truck, best looking iron on the highways.

Sons Hero Thanks this.
  10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    HyLiion has been doing the hybrid second axle system for a few years now. They claim 7% fuel economy improvement in hilly terrain. Seems like a lot of tech and investment for a fairly marginal gain.

Hybrid

[​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.