Why ,and How this rate

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by freight-time, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    It isn't just brokers who attempt to start negotiations biased in their favor. Back in 2011 I drove past the local Ford dealer that had a Ranger sitting out on their lot that piqued my interest. It was a 1987 extended cab 4x4...same V6 as I've got in my '92, manual transmission, manual lock hubs, manual transfer case. It had some issues...a few dents and dings, some body lines that weren't quite matched up, and a tailgate that wouldn't open. I asked what they wanted for it....and when they said $3900, I walked away. I was fully prepared to write a check right then and there for anywhere between $1000 to $1500 for the 24 year old truck because it was what I was looking for. The salesman said "That's how negotiations work....I start high, you start low, and we agree on a price somewhere in between."

Yeah, that's how negotiations work....but when you start so ridiculously high that even if I started at an equally ridiculous $0.00 and we met in the middle, it would STILL be higher than I expected you to start off the negotiations. It would be a waste of my time negotiating when I can see from the start that I'm going to be bent over, and you know what? I haven't set foot on that dealer's lot since then.

Same thing goes for these brokers. When you post a load for such a ridiculously cheap rate that nobody could ever break even on the thing, it isn't worth the time and effort negotiating. NOT ONLY do carriers move on to the next listing, they also remember WHO IT WAS posting that load at such a ridiculously cheap rate. Going forward, it may not matter how urgent it is for you to get the load moved or how good the load pays, the carrier remembers that cheap load you tried passing off and won't bother calling on it because you've earned your reputation as a broker of cheap freight...or if they do, they'll remember how that "cheap" load went for double the initial post and they'll try to squeeze even more out of you.

If you can't offer up a fair price from the start, you shouldn't have taken the load to sell in the first place.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Maybe you guys are battling with low rates because guys with paid off trucks can run the freight at a lower price.
    they might even have lower lifestyle cost or maybe no mortgage or car payments or no family

4. RGN

RGN Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2014
    I've got to jump in for those of us IC's with no truck/trailer/house/car payments, no family, etc..... it allows me to NOT haul cheap, I just net a ton more when I roll at a decent rate = first part; paid off stuff.

I get calls/emails from brokers a lot- "what are you offering?", "$$$$, when could you load?", "Pffft! that's not even enough for me to get out of my PJ's, I'm going to the country club. Thanks for checking though"
    I have never had a broker load on the deck, but I've moved A LOT of loads brokers couldn't cover. "Sorry, I don't care what the broker quoted- did it move? This is what it is going to cost you to get it done."

I know I'm specialized freight, but the concept is the same if you have a lower operating expense.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  5. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Great, valid points.

6. Broker Bob

Broker Bob Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2015
    I'm going to make my money and margin on every load I move. I do this ethically. I know what it takes to run a truck whether it has a payment or not, along with what it takes to run a small trucking company. That is my advantage.

7. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    This happens to be the post of the week, Couldn't be any further from the truth...

And Nothings going to change either, because...............Brokers (in general) Have found 'Confidence'

I hate to say this but. You as a carrier are NOT needed, That means me too... 26 years of service and Im not Needed.. Why?

Too many 'groups' of people came into this field,(and I wont mention ethnicity) (circa 1995-2015) and Work For desperate wages that,to them, are splendid wages.. BROKERS KNOW THIS!!!

Broker Bob, Please quit acting like everything's gonna be alright and your a "Good guy"(It only insults our intelligence).. Your a broker who may say your ethical, But I can Bet My life that If I were to have relationships with you and I became "Too Close" on what your customers were honestly paying , You'd grow far apart.

The Day (if ever) law were to stipulate ALL freight Tendered MUST disclose Freight Rate You'll see a bunch of Crying (And Filing) Bankrupt Brokers.

I mean really Bob..... How can we believe in you? You even contradicted yourself in this thread by saying...."I'll just head outside and do the back 9" And then you say..I cant work (drive) because I have a bad back and 3 thrown(bulging) Disks.. sure the Heck ain't swinging for the fences with that 3 wood are you!

truckthatpassesyouby Thanks this.
  8. Broker Bob

Broker Bob Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2015
    I truly don't care if you like me or think I'm honest or not... This is the www.... Guess ya missed the sarcasm in my golf post. Not going to waste my time or oxygen in trying to explain it to you.

9. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Its ok Bob, You just keep workin with the Elite Group of drivers, They'll move it for you, Super Cheap..And you wont ever have to worry about 'disclosing' anything to them, They'll Never ask.

And You guys Wonder Why you get Back-Solicited on a daily Basis. Have a Good day.

10. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Know how to fix that problem?
    When you call and get a discription of the product, steel, wood, plastics. After getting off the phone, search high point, nc for the shipper and send them an email, fax, or a phone call saying, your freight isn't getting moved because the broker has it posted for $400. If you want, I can move it for you for a fair rate, I have a truck.

Brokers do it to each other, call up other brokers and pretend they want to move a shipment, get the basic info and then call up the shipper to try and best that broker.

stayinback Thanks this.
  11. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    That's right 6 wheeler.....Yes,its a dangerous game, but You got to play it with confidence on the carrier side....

I just love how we get these brokers posting on this site trying to make people think everything's going to be alright .

6wheeler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.