Why Are Semi Trucks So Expensive Recently?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SeanQ, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Al can 67

Al can 67 Light Load Member

May 31, 2017
    Should go down by spring or end of second quarter

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Al can 67

May 31, 2017
    Why are Canadian trucks cheaper than trucks in US when they built in same place

shooter19802003 and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  4. Al can 67

May 31, 2017
    Done that in Crossville tn too .I guess the rich get richer and of po folks move

5. Al can 67

May 31, 2017
    Won't be me boss man

6. Al can 67

May 31, 2017
    Country music jerk offs like to buy big fancy house large homes on the lake when they do that prices all around go way up

7. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Don't forget all the California Marxists that have invaded the area too. They're worse than rich people in many ways.

8. Al can 67

May 31, 2017
    Them and the yankees

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Unfortunately, they are one in the same. That Yankee mentality isn't confined to just the North. They've been spreading their poison globally since 1861. I'll digress though as I don't want to get too political. TTR has a great section here for such discussion.

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  10. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

Seems to be less demand in Canada, which isn't fueling the stupid prices.
    Seems we can pay less for trucks and trailers, in Canadian dollars, which is valued lower than the American dollar.
    If people would just stop buying over priced items, which created this stupid bubble, prices wouldn't be out of control.
    But for those who aren't desperate, we are sitting back smiling. Because the bubble will pop, and then we can buy up stuff for about 30 or 40 cents on the dollar, the desperate fools paid. I was 18 in 2008, and remember that bubble burst, my parents were laughing as they bought up equipment dirt cheap, paid cash, and it was wonderful.
    In a year, trucks, homes, toys such as ATVs and boats, will be cheap. Banks are already tightening up their lending, I know loans officers personally. My aunt, who is a senior loans officer, said they are already seeing a sharp upswing in defaults. They have been making it much harder to get a loan. We have two new trucks, and three new trailers on order. Already heard that we should expect to see the trucks earlier than expected, and the fuel trailer to, as people are calling in and canceling their orders. By the end of 2022, its going to be a buyers market, and a great time for those who are in a position to buy, as the bankrupt people get desperate to sell.
    Sit back, relax, late 2022, and especially 2023 are going to be amazing men.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  11. Lucastookis

Lucastookis Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2021
    Diesel Rates will rise through the 2nd quarter of 2022 and peak in June-July, and return to 3.30 to 3.60 in November 2022.
    Supply will continue to increase all the way through the end of this year, December, 2022 and rates right now will maintain through the end of the year.
    Two reasons for high truck prices. Inflation is one. The second and more costly one is lack of supply of new trucks. Look around and try to find a new semi. They aren't on the lots. This has increased the demand for used trucks, so you have a higher cost of used trucks based on increased demand for them that stems from the low supply of new trucks and add in inflation. The new truck production efforts will normalize by December-end of year 2022 In January of 2023, used truck prices will come down from what they are by a substantial amount and new trucks will be costlier because of high demand and still a somewhat low supply. Rates will not be any lower during the entire year of 2022 than what they are now. With fuel rising and inflation, the one positive is that rates generally parallel those 2.

Take Away For Owner Operators With Own Authority-2022 truly is one of the years where you need to be savvy with load boards, planning, negotiating mileage rates because it will matter in 2022 more than ever. Think about the variables for trucking that are costly.....
    1. Fuel Price Up
    2. Truck Prices Up so that Means Truck Parts Up Which means Maintenance is Up
    3. Insurance Rates have now climbed by about 7.5% to match inflation to that is Up.
    So, right off the bat, 3 out of 3 of the major variables are UP, so what is left that we have a little bit of control over, if proper planning, considering going OTR instead of Regiona if that's where the money is, negotiating, etc......It's mileage rates. This isn't the year to be lazy and just having the mindset of "oh hell with it, I will just book the load and keep the truck moving and don't want the hassle." This isn't the year to have that mindset. We need to be laser focused on the load boards, planning two steps ahead before taking a load, negotiating that load, etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.