why are trucks driving in the middle lane(s)?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by squid, Jun 20, 2007.

1. ghostchild

ghostchild Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Ye, some drivers personalize things way to much...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. polished steel

polished steel Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Collyer,Kansas
    I don't understand people getting pissed off or even just a little upset at trucks running the middle lane. Some say they understand peak rush hours, but not late at night. Well whats wrong at night? If there is hardly any traffic and there is 3 lanes, then you all in the litltle cars (thats so easy to accelerate and slow down) can manuever around us with so little problem. We truck drivers drive both. Trucks when we're working and cars and pickups when we're off duty. I have no problem ever driving my car or pickup around trucks. They do there thing I do mine.

4. DD14

DD14 Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Ontario
    I think trucks or cars that just stay in the middle lane all day or NIGHT until they reach thier exit is B---S---! KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS.I see the exception of "rush hour" around some big cities but that is it! That middle lane is the trucks passing lane (in states that trucks are restricted from using the third lane) This was rarely tolerated when most interstates were only 4 lanes,but some did it then too which is why in some states you see those signs that say "slower traffic right lane". I should not have to pass 5 or 6 of you lazy a--s lined up in a row by using the right lane.It seems this is usually done by the big fleet trucks that run below or just barely the speed limit. I see you guys reading magazines talking on your phones,and using qualcoms driving completely oblivious to what is happening around you,it is like you guys are sitting in you living room watching TV and oh yes I've seen dumb a--s doing that too. We need some cosistency on how we should be conducting ourselves on the interstates not just anything goes, because then in an emergency situation we might then all have an idea of what to expect from each other,not just everyone for themselves as it is now. Maybe if most truck drivers would have used some common sense over the years we would not have lane restrictions to begin with.

5. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    You can't cut me off, you don't know where I'm getting it.

6. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    I agree with Fink: let Evil come to Atlanta and see how it is in the right lane for trucks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
  7. DD14

DD14 Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Ontario
    There is a time and a place for alot of things but I can't count how many times I have tried to use the right lane to pass a truck just sitting in the middle lane only to have them speed up when I'm almost by them just to screw me up.So why do they do that?Just lazy A--Ho--s!Maybe if there was some consistancy and if you were in a lane that was ending you could know someone would let you in BUT as it is now it is everyone for THEMSELVES!

8. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    I think you've been singled out. I drive all over Atlanta with the trucks in the second lane, as they NEED to be, and I've rarely ever had trouble getting around them. And MOST of them are very courteous, letting me slide thru the rockin' chair when I need to get off or on. They almost always get into the second lane for cars trying to merge too. Matter of FACT, the only REAL courtesy you see out here nowadays comes from the truckers, as always.
    A few bad apples don't spoil the basket, in this case.

9. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Well, I don't know about you guy's but I not only use the middle lane due to the lack of brains from merger's but in most major cities (Memphis for ex.) has left and right hand exits so it's easier to stay in the middle lane so there's no guessing game on weather your going left or right if you don't know the area. Just a lot easier than trying to merge 65' of truck in heavy traffic over 3 lanes to the left/right under short notice to catch an exit.

DannyB Thanks this.
  10. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Oh and just saw something to get me POed. When we are fighting high winds and poor road conditions or even on the nicest of days I don't understand when there are 3 and 4 lanes to travel in and we aren't allowed to to drive in the far left or two left lanes that yall still have to crowd us. Please explain why it is you people do that? Another complaint I have and this is a big one, people driving with their bright lights on. Are you that blind? If so please turn in your drivers license and info the DMV that you are not capible of driving because your blind. :yes2557:

Oh and Evil dude what ever the hell your name is, you need to keep one thing in mind there a good number of us who carry personal digital camcorders in our trucks and I keep mine on the dash and on at all times while I'm driving. Bought it just for the purpose of what you say about slamming on the brakes like that and mine is always on and running while I am moving for that very purpose so you try that with me and I'll run you the hell over and not give a #### because it's your stupidity and ignorance that caused you to get yourself killed and it's all on tape. Law states that anyone who rear ends someone else is automatically at fault but not unless you have solid evidance to prove other wise. :biggrin_25516:

Tail gaters. This one piss' me off more than anything. In the past couple of trips out I have had people riding less than a foot off my DOT bumper and doing it on purpose. No one around other lanes to pass in plenty of room. Had a Orkin pest pickup doing it up in Iowa last week. Guy was talking on the phone. I didn't touch the brakes. I was running empty starting up a hill so I flipped on the jake and jammed that bastered into 9th gear at 60 and he didn't have time to react and jumped out infront of a bunch of other traffic. Had a wreck been caused he would have been at fault because he was on the PHONE not paying attention and tailgating.
    60mph down to 25 in less the 3 seconds and never touched the brakes. Would have sucked for him. :biggrin_25516:

Now what I find funny is after I've just had my truck washed and gotten out there and polished my tanks and wheels people taking pictures of it while rolling down a mountain at 85mph. :biggrin_2554: And just when I think I've seen it all.

11. DD14

DD14 Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Ontario
    IF the "singled out" comment was directed at me...the answer is no!There is just a bunck of lazy a--s out on the roads today and the worst ones being in trucks as they should know better,after all alot of you new drivers have had that 6 week driver training degree.A FEW BAD APPLES? Where the heck do you drive?Do you not ever have to pull into truckstops?OH and use must not have a C.B. radio on either?Sure I don't like alot of peoples driving habits on the interstates but those truckstop parking lots really bring out the best performances.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.