why are trucks driving in the middle lane(s)?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by squid, Jun 20, 2007.

1. DD14

DD14 Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Ontario
    Not that I agree with what that EVIL guy said....but you are no better!!I do not agree with what your tailgater was doing either.I however do have an issue with how you said you handled your tailgater especially because your reaction was the same thing you are bit--n at that evil guy for! I've got one more suggestion for you.....You should think about how stupid you are going to look with that video camera shoved into your skull as you smash into that EVIL guys trailer in an attempt to pay him back for cutting you off and hitting his brakes but I guess that comes with that 0-1 year driving experience.DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD VIDEO TAPING,that is as bad or worse than typing an e-mail or watching TV while driving. Either way if you followed through with trying to run over EVILs trailer it would likely be your first and last time and more importantly I hope no innocent people are driving in the lanes next to you guys when all hell breaks loose!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    The Truckers Report does not condone violence or allow abusive/insulting members.

smurf-316 and Cybergal Thank this.
  4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Your response sounds like a security guard not a cop or someone just intent to stir up crap.. In heavy traffic areas I move into the center lanes, This allows for the commuter to enter and exit easier. I hate it when trucks travel side by side, I hate to agree but that drives me up a wall. On open highway I stay in the right except to pass as do most other trucks. Some times it has to do with what lane we are told to be in, sometimes we have to be there for a up coming enterchange. Professional truck drivers are positioning there truck where it needs to be a mile down the road, Most car drivers are thinking 20 feet down the road not a mile or 2.

5. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    And THERE is the 'final answer', by Squid. Anything to the contrary is wrong, IMO.

6. BoDarville01

BoDarville01 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA

I'm going to side with skunk. Out of 3 lanes of road, and depending on the traffic, if it is heavy, i'm always going to be in the middle lane. Is that the safest lane? No. Safest lane would be the right lane, cause you have an 'out', being the emergency lane. But the center lane, particularlly when on-ramp traffic is heavy, would you rather be in the left lane and always constantly be slowing down or lane changing to the center every other mile?? Whenever you lane-change in a big truck, that just opens you up to be in an accident. "drive for 5", something i remembered in my defensive driving class a while back for big trucks. you (1) and four other sides of your truck....always leave yourself a 'bubble' around you....or try to.

But for me, being in the center lane cuts out extra chances of being in an accident. Either from lane changes or stupid 4-wheelers who dont know how to merge.

I cannot tell you how many times, i see a car coming down an on-ramp, be 40 yards ahead of me, can notice i'm slowing down (if they'd pay attention to traffic flow on the way down the ramp) to open up more room for them ahead of me...then HIT THEIR BRAKES.

Now i'm not one who is going to 'bully' them or race them to the end of the on-ramp, that is just stupid. I will slow down for them, i'll lane change if i can, but i'm not going to babysit them. If i slow down, flash my lights, give them a signal to merge ahead of me, and they hit their brakes, then 'screw em'....i'm back on the gas, and they can take the emergency lane. I'm not going to be the one who becomes a road hazard because they expect me to stand on the brakes to let them in.

When merging into traffic.......step on the gas!!!! I want to get a big magnet made and put it on the right side of my truck that says, "IF YOU CAN READ THIS ..... YOU NEED TO STEP ON IT !!!!!" or "GOT GAS ??"

7. MilkMan

MilkMan Bullshipper

Aug 18, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH

Most of the time, I run the middle lane on 3 laners and the 2nd lane on >3 lanes simply for not having to deal with merging problems. My speed totally depends on the conditions. If I'm running 5 under posted, you can bet there's a reason for it, especially in rush hour traffic. The reason usually is as simple as this: The amount of space in "front" of my truck is the only space around me I CAN control.

BoDarville01 Thanks this.
  8. t3gp

t3gp Bobtail Member

May 20, 2012
    Trucks should be in the first lane only unless they are passing slower vehicles, they are clogging the freeways causing vehicles to change lanes in both directions to get around them.

9. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    If I am staying with traffic and driving legally, i will drive in the center lane. Deal with it.

A truck has as much right to use that lane as a car.

IMO, it's much safer for all on the road as i am not clogging the right lane in a metro are for people to get on and off the freeway.

A dangerous mix with large vehicles and slow/fast moving traffic.

Smaggs Thanks this.
  10. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I drive for Knight. I have a 63MPH truck. I always stick to the middle, because 4 wheelers cannot merge and I've had too many close calls. At least I can explain via CB what I'm doing if another trucker gets confused.

When I stick to the granny lane, I am forced to brake excessively.

The center lane is the lane of least resistance. The second I'm out of major city areas, I go back to the granny lane, except to pass.

MNdriver Thanks this.
  11. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Agreed. I've been stuck behind another rig going 55 in a 65, but I just set my cruise and stay back with him/her until I am out of that major city traffic. I would rather slow down and be in the lane of least resistance, than have to brake all the time for the four wheelers that don't even look and cut into your nose!!!

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.