Why are you driving so FAST with fuel costs so high?!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckerPete1990, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    I see the same trucks fly past me multiple times in the same day. I think they must have to drive that fast because they stop so much. They can’t be making that much more mileage than me with as many times as I see some of them.

PSM379 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019

Glad other people notice this as well. No joke I loaded with a guy once, it was a great paying milatary load, summer, beautiful day, I shut my truck off. Guy comes over chewing my ear off. Complaining about fuel prices, his truck stayed running at low idle the whole time I was there. I don’t get it at all. Now I will admit I do not stay in the truck enough to justify a APU. in extreme colds 30 or below, or extreme heat and humidity I will run it, most of the time though I’m content with kicking the sleeper door open for some fresh air and falling asleep. If it super hot out and I’m chaining down I will run the truck a few minutes before I’m done and let the AC do its thing. Same for super cold days, with the heat. I dislike idling for a a few reasons. I tend to sleep better with the truck off. Nothing like parking at a quiet receiver or a good hide out with nice temps and the truck off. My favorite thing is a nice hotel with the truck off though, or better yet home with the truck off lol.

As for the speed, I’m usually the slowest on the road 63-68 is my sweet spot. I will kick it up to around 75 or higher if I need to pass or getting away from a pack of idiots when empty, loaded I will usually do the opposite and just back out of it and let them go. I’ve also got off an exit ramp, crossed back to the entrance ramp side, pulled off stretched my legs then got back on to get away from packs of traffic. Seems to work well. I drive slower for a lot of reasons not just fuel consumption, I think it’s safer, I think more distance and reaction time is safer, things run cooler, and I don’t constantly have my foot in it trying to pass. About 6mpg across the quarter average 3406B Cat.

4. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I drive fast because I don't worry about my fuel economy .. and like living on the edge ..

5. Blackjack55

Blackjack55 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Slow down because speeds kills. Period. I'm sick and tired of reckless truck drivers..

PSM379 Thanks this.
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I can’t wait until they mandate speed limiters and slow all the trucks down and there’s no more truck wrecks.

Siinman, Vampire, gokiddogo and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Let the 100 truck pile ups begin

alds, Concorde, Siinman and 4 others Thank this.
  8. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    I am laughing at this right now! Today out of the 10 stupid things that other drivers did around me that almost caused an accident not one was speeding.
    It’s not speed that kills it’s the stupid things that people do because they don’t know how to drive that kills. If you cut me off at 55 or 70 it really doesn’t matter much you still didn’t check your mirrors, take the time to wait for a gap in traffic before cutting out. If your not paying attention and rear end someone what makes you think you or anyone else will pay more attention if they are doing 5 or 10 mph less. Will that driver looking at thier phone or trying to text spend more or less time doing it at 55 or 65 or 75 my bet is the slower they go the worse they get, you know more time to look around and be distracted.

Chuck579, Siinman, Vampire and 2 others Thank this.
  9. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    You got that right!

Concorde Thanks this.
  10. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    waaaa waaaa mind your own beeswax.

kids now days.

:rolleyes:

Vampire and REO6205 Thank this.
  11. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Is it better to be taxed 30% on a dollar or not have the dollar at all?

By your rationale im better off only earning 50k after expenses than I am trying for 100k...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.