Why are you driving so FAST with fuel costs so high?!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckerPete1990, Jan 26, 2023.

1. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    The dollar goes back into the business, it doesn’t just go “missing”
    Any half decent accountant should be able to beat up 100k into 50-60k owning a truck, they are about the greatest write off you can have next to a farm.

Opendeckin and Last Call Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    All things being equal look at these two scenarios

1. Gross 300k
    Fuel 50k
    Various maintenance and payments 100k
    Other overhead 50k
    After the accountant is done, your takehome is 100k which you owe 25% on in taxes leaving you 75k

2. 1. Gross 300k
    Fuel 45k
    Various maintenance and payments 100k
    Other overhead 50k
    After the accountant is done, your takehome is 105k which you owe 25% on in taxes leaving you 78.75k

Why is scenario 2 where you have 3,750$ more after all is said and done not more desireable?

I dont much care what you decide to do with your money or what you do or dont reinvest, but it seems to me that spending more on fuel to keep more from the taxman doesnt make sense

Opendeckin and gokiddogo Thank this.
  4. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Are you going to line your coffin with $3700 just to say you have it?

edit: talking about single truck, not a fleet

5. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    What im driving at is more on the fuel side, snowwy's comment was after all specifically talking about that. He seems to be advocating just burning money instead of letting it be taxed and still having some of it.

I too am talking single truck, i simply dont see the point in spending money just so it wont be taxed. I DO see the point in reinvestment of that saved money into something you need or even just want. I guess if going faster is the need or want you could justify it that way. It doesnt bother me what speed others choose to drive, and I'm not going to slow down to 55 mph from my normal 64 to 68 mph even though it would likely save me some money, but I WILL invest money on things that reduce idling. My 12 v electric powered mini split ac unit paid for itself twice over in a single year, and it certainly reduced my tax burden, But im not NOW going to idle so i can burn the extra money it is saving me...

Will i line my coffin with 3700 so i can say i have it? no, but im pretty sure i can afford more steak dinners with the 3700 than without it

Opendeckin and gokiddogo Thank this.
  6. Stone Express

Stone Express Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Deleted

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    Reason for edit: Deleted
  7. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    No, speed differential is what kills.

If a 70 MPH four-wheeler slams into the DOT bumper of a trailer being pulled by a truck that's governed at 55, there's a pretty good chance the four-wheeler driver could die. But if both the truck and the four wheeler are doing 70 then there will be no crash and thus no resultant death.

8. KrumpledTed

KrumpledTed Medium Load Member

May 6, 2022
    Truck 1 spends less time on the road.

9. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Does it?

If the saved money comes exclusively from not idling instead of slowing down, thats simply not true

If the saved money comes from a better fuel card program, that is not true

Only if you think the only way to save money on fuel is to slow down are you correct

10. KrumpledTed

KrumpledTed Medium Load Member

May 6, 2022
    If you’re holding all things the same. Same truck, same freight, same weight, same route, except for the speed, truck 1 spends less time on the road.

Anything else is not apples to apples. That’s arguing in bad faith.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Define "less time on the road." In my experience the receiver isn't going to take you much earlier than your appointment. If you really bust it you might make up a day if they are accommodating. If not, what difference does it make if two loads both loaded on Monday and are delivering on Thursday and one used what, 4 hours less of drive time? If those 4 hours are needed for the next load there may be a point there, often it isn't where you come in hot to last delivery with very little left on the 70 clock. Do we all run 2/8 splits every day to avoid the 30 minute rule and maximize every possible minute? Do we never sleep 10 hours and 1 minute? It is usually much easier and less stressful to take it a bit easier.

wore out Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.