Why can’t LTL freight be on 5 Tons instead of trailers

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Perry ikwan, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Perry ikwan

Perry ikwan Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2021
    I’m not so much into the LTL market. Don’t have lots of knowledge. Can someone please elaborate on why trailers are needed for city LTL delivereys ? Why can’t they send straight trucks ? Or 24 ft pup trailers ? I see transX bison and big carriers trying to back a 53 ft with a long wheelbase truck into a spot for 2 skids ! a lot of thease carriers need 5 tons or pups unless a 53 trailers are needed for this kind of work. And it’s not like they do a peddle run with multiple skids in the trailers. Trucking should be all about FTL that’s it ! None of this LTL crap. This sounds like courier stuff now.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018

Here, and in many places the do just send a deck truck.
    It's not that they can't, but for some reason they choose not to.

4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Moving and storing a trailer is cheaper than moving and storing a whole truck. Once those trailers are loaded they can just drop them at a dock and do more work with another trailer without tying up a vehicle. That's my guess at least.

They should probably use pups, but not every company operates them.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  5. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    CF3352ED-73CB-4F28-A87F-07D2AD938F6B.jpeg Because sometimes they have more than one drop this is a typical trip for me starting point is Winnipeg

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Just about everything we ship locally goes out on an F550 or smaller. Only stuff going long distance goes in a large truck.

beastr123 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  7. MartinFromBC

Oct 19, 2018

Same here in town, guy has a 12 foot deck F550 and runs around delivering.
    He has a good gig going there.

beastr123 Thanks this.
  8. MartinFromBC

Oct 19, 2018

Same here in town, guy has a 12 foot deck F550 and runs around delivering.
    He has a good gig going there.

9. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Each carrier has their own reasons for doing what they do operationally. The big ones you’ve mentioned have a lot of owner operators doing city work so you’re likely noticing trucks that aren’t owned by the company and/or spec’d ideally for city work.

With regards to using 53 foot trailers in the city, sometimes the reason is efficiency. That 53 foot trailer may have brought a full load into the city and once it was emptied out they put it straight to work again doing LTL pick ups. (The big trailer was needed for the fore-haul not necessarily the back haul).

It could otherwise be done for capacity reasons. Smaller trucks / trailers have less capacity and that can complicate things; in terms productivity and meeting timelines. (If that truck has to run back to the cross dock to reload/empty out a few times a day. -Not every shipper has just one or two skids).

LTL certainly has its place. To say that “trucking should all be full loads” is ignorant. Trucking is a service. It follows the needs of the
    customer. Sometimes they don’t need large quantities because they don’t have the space or maybe the product expires too soon.

gentleroger and EvertonP Thank this.
  10. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Simple economics.

Because sometimes you need to send a single piece 3,000 miles. If you get a straight truck to take it, you pay for that entire truck and trip. If you put it into an LTL truck, you share the price with the other shippers.

11. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I’ve see big name LTL Carriers in my residential neighborhood with a cabover 20 foot box truck with a lift gate making deliveries .
    I’ve also seen idiots in hoods with seven foot sleepers and 53 for trailers trying to deliver stuff in residential neighborhoods

usually even the construction materials for remodel houses is with a day cab and a 40 foot trailer .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.