Why do companies cater so much to new drivers?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Komissar, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    To quote Woody Harrelson in The Cowboy Way: "At first thought it seems like it might be fun...."

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  4. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Why? you ask? Because it’s a business every bit of incom is income.
    You’re there for one reason to collect a paycheck.
    I never cared for what kind of truck I drove as long as it didn’t give me problems and I had a nice check.

I know a new truck is a new truck but something about firing this straight piped 07 up everyday and hearing it purr makes me want to drive.
    Now days you start a truck and the dpf/Def system just whistles.

My drivers have newer trucks than me. But I wouldn’t give this old shaker up to no one.

Mooseontheloose, Lepton1 and spindrift Thank this.
  5. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    How can you possibly know what someone else should or shouldn't do? What qualifies you to be the arbiter of the thoughts and behaviors of another person?

Also, when you say "don't be angry or jealous" please realize that the human mind cannot process negation in that it is literally impossible for anyone to take a real world action based on the instruction "do not" regardless of whatever follows. We can only act on a positive instruction such as "be calm." It is simply impossible to act on the instruction "do not be angry."

The fact is that as human beings we all experience anger and the anger may very well be appropriate. Ignoring reality is not positivity. The fact of the matter is that many people are now on mood altering pharmaceutical drugs that make it impossible for them to experience negative emotions, and I'm seeing a pressure applied for people to now conform to a society that expects people to not express negativity, or to only express it in specific ways in reaction to specific events. This is insanity.

It is normal and expected for a person to experience negative emotions and to be upset by certain events. What isn't normal is expecting that person to repress or suppress the negative emotions. Repression is always harmful to the individual. Always. And even the Dalai Lama admits to becoming angry on occasion. We cannot choose to not be angry, but we can certainly refuse to identify with our feelings of anger, which is a disassociation via repression of negative feelings and we cannot escape the consequences of our actions which means the bill will come due at some point which is part of why so many people are having problems with depression and such. Again, anybody telling me not to think, feel, or react a certain way is opening their closets to my scrutiny and I guarantee you I can find something in there that will disqualify you from telling me how to think and behave.

The anger isn't the issue - the reaction to the anger is what is important. Him typing up an account of his experience may be a healthy way for him to express anger - who knows? But I do know that when a person represses their negative emotions this causes them harm.

If you are telling someone not to be angry (a command that can't even be followed as mentioned above), you are giving them an instruction to deny their own humanity which is ALWAYS harmful to that person, 100% of the time. Are you out to help or are you out to hurt? If you are trying to help I would argue that your best chance would be to clean up your own house and be mindful of your own thoughts and behaviors (and that isn't advice which is why I said if).

I have noticed that people who are unable to internalize various ideas and beliefs because change and growth are painful then sometimes turn that same energy and motivation at other people externally, where in fact they have almost no power or influence to change another individual. It's a way we trick ourselves into thinking we are acting on a belief we would like to hold when in fact we aren't putting our efforts towards the area in which we have the most power to effect change - which is ourselves not other people.

I know this is long and went offtopic and if the mods want to edit or remove this post I will defer to their judgment on that.

Cliffs: When someone does me wrong I'm supposed to be upset by it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Truckermania Thanks this.
  6. LilBudyWizer

LilBudyWizer Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2017
    They're making infinitely more off that new driver than you because you quit and he didn't. There's your reason why. Training someone for a job is a cheap way to buy loyalty. Paying more is a #### expensive way to do it. He might jump ship like any other driver, but he less likely to do so. The threshold at which he does so is much higher.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I'm sorry, but if I busted tail and earned a new truck, just to have that truck yanked from me and handed to some rookie who'd probably gonna tear it up for no other reason than to keep said rookie happy, I wouldn't bother moving my gear to another truck. I'd be homebound and then on the phone with my next employer.

How many rookies go less than 24 hours between dumping one job and moving UP to the next? I have far more value than some six month wonder trucker. And MY company appreciates me.

8. Sani101

Sani101 Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Cheaper labor that's all they care about.

9. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  10. RubbleOnD

RubbleOnD Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Chicago
    I've been driving almost for 9 years and it's crazy how fast this industry changes. I wonder if the kid was even trained using a manual transmission. I started for four years grinding and finding gears but been in an auto ever since. Your seeing more and more new drivers with the automatic restriction. I had to slipt seat and I can understand the frustration of a dirty broken truck.

11. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    when I was in the crst "school" I often heard them just getting drivers in they get paid for it. And again I think when they get the permit, license and maybe after orientation

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.