Why do EU trucks use side tarps?

Discussion in 'European/Other Countries Truckers Forum' started by Paulie_CDN, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Paulie_CDN

Paulie_CDN Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Kitchener, ON
    I have a question for EU truck drivers ... why do you use tarps on the sides of trucks all the time? Is it to save on weight? do you haul dry goods in these trailers?

If anyone has an answer, I'm real curious cause in Canada and US, all the van trailers have walls...

Thanks very much,

Paulie.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mrs T

Mrs T Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2008
    planet earth
    I can't give an official answer, but as someone who has lived in Europe a long time I would say its just to do with lack of space at shippers, there are many places drivers need to park alongside rather than back up, and get unloaded via the curtains / tarps.

Don't forget most cities in Europe are hundreds of years old, and the streets were designed for horse transport. Unloading out the side of a truck seems to be the usual system from what i see.

But hey, I'm not a trucker just a truckers wife, so maybe a European trucker here can give a better answer?

4. Paulie_CDN

Paulie_CDN Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Kitchener, ON
    That's really neat, I thought that it would be because of the weight, I didn't think about unloading in small spaces like that.

Pretty cool, Thanks.

5. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    We use them in South Africa as well.Access and speed for loading and off loading that all.Don't need a dock and can use 2 or three fork lifts a a time.When doing multi drops no need to plan too much.No last in first out only.Not very secure though so not for parking in risky areas.

heyns57 and Mrs T Thank this.
  6. Mrs T

Mrs T Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2008
    planet earth
    That's true, I had forgotten about the speed factor when unlodaing.
    Many downtown stores have on-street unloading bays only, and there is a time limit of 20 minutes. Its enforced by cameras and traffic cops.
    Realistically this can only be done with more than one forklift!

Attached Files:

7. oldedge

oldedge Light Load Member

I don't drive here in Italy but I did in the states so I like to watch what goes on over here. From what I've seen the trucks are almost all cabovers and they are shorter than the US trucks. It is amazing some of the places they unload those things at,and some of the roads they have to travel. Most of the time they off load where ever they can and the side tarps do make it easier. But they don't seem to be real big on load securement.

8. Aces

Aces Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    securing is more time, and time is $$$$$$$. :biggrin_25523:

9. halfgear

halfgear Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Rome
    because with them we are able to carry dry goods and also bigger stuff as if it is almost a flatbed, since we can open both sides completely and also the rooftop almost completely.
    It can be usefull in tight places as it gives us more ways to download.
    It's cheaper and faster to fix if it gets damaged and that can happen easily in our tight roads.
    Security it's not really a problem for us because we transport plastic and cardboard so sometimes while i sleep they cut the curtain to see what's inside and leave. They also sell armoured curtains whit steel wires inside. But here in Italy if you are hauling food or whatever has a value especially new tires or electronics doesen'r really matter if it's a box or curtainsider because northern italy it's not a problem but in south italy better keep driving at night and not stopping for any reasons.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  10. R660

R660 Light Load Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Europe, Estonia
    Dry vans are usually for dedicated terminal work.

11. thedrifter

thedrifter Medium Load Member

May 23, 2010
    portland or.
    we have the taught liners here in the U.S. Also they are used alot up here around Portland and seattle areas.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.