Why do my straps do this, and how to stop it?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Wespipes, Jul 22, 2020.

1. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Screenshot_20200723-223057_Chrome.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

My ribs have a couple holes already drilled, one is located in just the right spot for this. Thanks.

cke Thanks this.
  4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    this is the tie bar on one of the transcrafts i ordered a few years back.

5D01139A-CC80-4E13-81C0-CB668A8BCCDB.jpeg

This is the tie bar on the new manac i bought last year end; see where the j hook storage is?

E5703976-34D3-4BC6-84D3-DA51B45C6824.jpeg

If you run a flat hook to the tie bar where the j hooks are stored.......
    I’m not an engineer, I would’ve thought running the J hooks on the inside and the tie bar on the outside would make more sense.

C967285C-49E7-4270-A565-908CECD5291A.jpeg

blairandgretchen, Tug Toy and cke Thank this.
  5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I'm guessing by the open holes in the cross frames that in the absence of the J-hook holder, the tie bar would be on the outside? Or someone just got it wrong?

beastr123, cke, Ruthless and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

I really don’t know, but when bolting it together, it would’ve been easy enough just to put the J hooks inboard of the tie bar. Chances are, i want one and not the other For the most part.

All the other units that were on the lot that day were set up the same way. So I can’t speak to it being a mistake versus a common place thing.
    I guess I will find out quick enough though, I ordered another new step deck. Should’ve actually been here last week. That does not have a J hook system. So I’ll see how it’s set up when it gets here.

cke and Tug Toy Thank this.
  7. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

like not4hire said it looks like the holes are already there closer to the outside rail. Can you swap them, move the tie down bar outward and move the J-hook storage inboard? They appear to have the same holes.

cke Thanks this.
  8. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Strapping to the rub rail is better imo.
    If the strap get’s loose it won’t fly away, like it would when strapped to the tie bar.
    I’d rather have a loose strap flapping on the load (that I can stop and re-tighten), than a ribbon flying straight into my axles.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    blairandgretchen, cke and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  9. cgilliland

cgilliland Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i think the reason some people wrap it is because when you drop it straight down it can "miss" when you go to pull/tighten. happens to me alot the missing part walk back around etc frustrating

blairandgretchen, cke and skellr Thank this.
  10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    The reason you wrap it is because if anything goes wrong it'll drop right out and there's no more strap. If it's wrapped you have gravity holding it on at least and most likely will just have a loose strap.

11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I had a problem with something like that once. Some cheap crates collapsed causing a strap to get cut somehow. The hook end just dropped out onto the road.

Im still not sure which would be the lesser evil. Dropping a strap on the road and risking damage to other vehicles... Or risking the strap getting wrapped up in the wheels with one end wrapped around the rubrail.
    Maybe the strap would break before it started ripping off the rubrail and thus loosening more securement. I dont think it would rip it off, but I dont really want to take that chance.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.