Why do people say "don't be a trucker, go to college instead"?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhairdontcare, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Arcana

Arcana Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Missouri
    I am new. I was hired as a sec for a small trucking business. I now dispatch. I have a BA AA and AS....I wish I had skipped college and gotten my CDL.

jon69 and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    If your unsure you don't want to go to college then go ahead and get your CDL if you want to get out and see the country first ( make sure it's the right OTR 48 state company) live in your truck and bank your money. See if you like it first. You can always go to college later Just make sure you don't get tied down with a wife and kids, once you do that it's a lot harder to get back in school. Get the right degree if you do, one that's highly in demand health related etc...not philosophy, political science. Colleges are doing a crappy job of advising students these days..they just want the $$$$. I did mine the other way..got my BS..retired from that now trucking. Good Luck!

4. Knoxcious

Knoxcious Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    I have college degree, a Masters, and almost enough credits to have a PhD. That and $5 at Starbucks will get you a cup of coffee..... I'm *SIX FIGURES* in student debt when, out of desperation went to CDL school. Been driving for going on seven years now *and I love it*!

Willie was just simply wrong when he said, "Momma don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys....." Us "cowboys" start off making about what the average college grad makes and some of us make more than your average ambulance chasing lawyer.

TripleSix, shogun, tscottme and 4 others Thank this.
  5. J Rich

J Rich Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    I tell every dumb ### I meet to go to college and not be a Trucker. Only because they are too dumb to drive a truck.

Yes. Please go to college! If you don't who will fold t-shirts at Hot Topic? Who will Starbuck's hire to make anything but REAL coffee? WHO? I ask you! WHO?

tscottme, fargonaz, IluvCATS and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Education without the wisdom of how to use it, may very well be a waste, they cannot and do not teach common sense.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  7. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Lol funny. And true.

J Rich Thanks this.
  8. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    On average college grads do better than non college grads. Statistics show that.
    A recent study from Georgetown University found that, on average, college graduates earn $1 million more in earnings over their lifetime. Another recent study by the Pew Research Center found that the median yearly income gap between high school and college graduates is around $17,500.

By choosing not to go to college, you are essentially forfeiting $17,500 per year and $1 million over your lifetime.

That's $1 million less in retirement and $17,500 less in disposable income every year. Before you don't go to college, consider what you would do if you had an additional $1 million available when you retire.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Pumpkin Oval Head Thanks this.
  9. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Hobwash!!!

10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You can always become a trucker, but you might never get another chance to be an engineer/scientist/doctor.
    Even if you get some useless bachelor degree and then do trucking, you still will do better than somebody without education. Your brain will simply be more developed, which will help you in different parts of life.

bigjoel Thanks this.
  11. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Most non-STEM degrees are a waste of time and money. If you can’t pass Calculus you’re better off trucking.

Rubber duck kw and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.