Why do people use lucas "oil stabilizer"?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by allan5oh, Oct 28, 2012.

1. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    Most of these sort of treatments are just polymer chain additives.
    As they heat up they expand and link up with the oil molecules.
    The effect is that the oil thickens up as it heats up.
    More accurately stated it thins out more slowly.
    When this was discovered it enabled the creation of oils that weren't mono viscosity oils.
    All modern oils have this type of additive already.
    The reason they add this is that the film/shear strength of oil is directly proportional to its viscosity.
    It is not the viscosity they are after but film/shear strength.
    Viscosity is actually bad but acceptable up to a point.
    From a mechanical point a good oil has low viscosity and high film/shear strength.
    The the correct concentration of this type of additive just keeps the viscosity and therefore the film/shear strength with in acceptable levels over a wider temperature range.
    Adding to much can most defiantly be detrimental.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bull hauler

bull hauler Medium Load Member

Apr 23, 2012
    I think its frickin hilarious when a guy says lucas is bad for your motor then goes onto say he runs 100k between services.....thats sounds so dang stupid

lucus oil is increased my mpg, more power and stopped oil leaks in my 3406e w900 bullrack pulling 6.5mpg rig, lucus rocks and theirs my proof!!!

4. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    I've got lots of UOA's here. If you want to compare to yours be my guest. Like I said TBN always within range, viscosity always within range, Iron usually less than 30 and the rest very very low.

I have shown proof with links, some right from lucas themselves.

It is not CJ-4 approved. If your engine blows on warranty and they discover you are not using CJ-4 approved oil, I can promise you your warranty is void.

I have not said any lies. I said it is extremely thick, and this is using numbers straight from Lucas. Look at oil analysis, there is no additives in the stuff. It is just really really thick oil. That's it.

So let me get this straight. Lucas oil additive at 10-20% has:

- Gained a full MPG
    - Cleaned the tops of your pistons (I have absolutely no idea how Lucas oil stabilizer would do this)
    - Increased oil pressure (due to thickness, gear oil would do the same thing)

I'm just at a loss here...

5. allan5oh

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    I wouldn't do it without proper oil analysis and bypass filtration.

ok.....

6. Freightlinerbob

Freightlinerbob Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2012
    West Coast B.C.
    C'mon Allan, I really want to know about these 1.5 mil Volvos. I'm serious. I'm totally impressed. Is it the 11L from way back? There's an old guy at Caneda with an old 90' something Volvo, huge miles on that one as well. I know there have been a few M11's and Series 60's that have gone that distance as well.

7. allan5oh

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    Mine didn't go that far. It is a 99, my dads is a 2000. He doesn't have bypass filtration so he changes his oil regularly. His has no rebuild. Spoke too soon about the injectors because he broke one yesterday(it didn't just fail it BROKE).

Mine was rebuilt at 550,000 miles. The only other problem I had with it was injector cups. Head is still original untouched including injectors. Turbo and air compressor were changed at about 1.2 out of paranoia. Original water pump, fuel pump was changed due to a mis-diagnosing, original front gear train, valve train has never been touched other than valve sets and injector cups, original ECM, just next to nothing happened to these engines.

Both are 425 hp engines. Good engines, but gutless and the jake barely works. I know of a 98 that has even more miles on it without a rebuild. He should be in the 1.7 range.

They could start at -20 C (about 0 F) not plugged in. I would only get cold in my truck around -32. The engine would keep temp.

Now my detroit that I just purchased, we'll see how warm this detroit keeps me. The power and jake is many times better than the Volvo, and MPG is a touch better.

The new Volvos? Absolutely terrible. I know quite a few owners and I'd say 50% have blown the bull gear requiring a completely new engine. Sure it's warranty but when you have injector cups constantly going, injector tips blowing, and bull gears you can't make any money.

8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    One guys analogy of taking an engine to 1.5 mil without doing rods and mains because of Lucas does not a scientific case make. I ran an N-14, using only Kendall 15w40, Baldwin filters, 30,000 mile oil changes, no bypass filter to 1.5 mil and it was never opened up except for running the overhead. Still got 7 mpg average and used only a gallon of oil every 8-10000 miles... and no leaks. I would much rather see serious case studies that show any dramatic improvement in a controlled environment that LOS makes a difference. None are available that I know of. All that I have heard so far is nothing more than brand loyalty. Nothing wrong with that, but it hardly makes a definitive case for the product. I am one of those "I need a schematic, logarithm, diagram, chart" kind of guys for detailed analytical information about a product before I decide to put in on or in my equipment. Being a hot seller at the truck stop does not qualify.

9. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    What is your response to the synthetic LOS, it is no where near as thick as the traditional stuff. I have used it along with synthetic Mobil 1 for quite sometime in my commuter car, it's now at 273K and shows now signs of slowing down, it also it averaging better mileage now than it did when I purchased it.

10. allan5oh

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    The synthetic stuff still has a viscosity of 45. Still off the charts. Again what is unstable about the oils we use?

I also love the "Can be used in any heavy diesel, import, transmissions, gear boxes and engines".

Somebody should tell them that those all require drastically different oils.

11. Colorato

Colorato Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2011
    It can be used in all those different types of sources because it is simply a petroleum based additive. It's purpose is it add lubrisity.

GrowinupMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.