Why do so many Americans hate European trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by snowbird_89, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    The only ones used today for distance are inches feet and miles. Yard is still used in specific situations of moderate distances, and in football.

For weight its ounces and pounds. Tons for large weights.

Liquid volume: ounces and gallons.

Cubic yard is used for large volumes of material such as dirt, rock, and concrete.

Kris J Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    I like to drink my beer in ounces or pints if it has been a bad day, I measure all my tolerances in thousands of an inch, and I torque my metric bolts to lb/ft. The corn field looking out my front door is planted in 30 inch rows and is harvested in bushels. I am an American and #### proud to be an American. Doesn't matter how you measure it, the actual size or amount is the same just expressed differently. If we did everything the same way, this world would be a boring place.

Oxbow and spyder7723 Thank this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Netherlands
    The fun of it all is that these units are not independent. They are derived from SI standards, so instead of using the kg as standard, you define the pound as 0.45359 kg, and then work with the pound. The principle same applies to all other US customary units. You think you have your own units, but in fact you're using weird fractions of SI units. In fact the US customary units have been based on metric units since 1893.

The US however is in good company with other highly industrialized nations, like Myanmar (Burma), Liberia, Palau, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, and Samoa. These are the only countries in the world that have not officially adapted the SI system, but the first two are actually using it.

Thomas Jefferon already wanted to change to metric in 1793, and there have been many attempts since.

So if using the customary units makes you proud as an American, then it makes you proud to use a wholly outdated system that should have been replaced over 200 years ago. You're proud of running behind the rest of the world, congratulations.

5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Patton wanted to finish the job .... and you see what happened to him......

spsauerland and rollin coal Thank this.
  6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    And yet in spite of all our alleged shortcomings in measurements, weights, heavy equipment - we still always come out on top. It might be that you and the rest of the world ought to scrap the metric system and do it our way. Since our way has led to the most success and individual prosperity.

7. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    That's your opinion, and opinions are like a##holes... Everyone has one and they all stink. God bless America!

sdaniel and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    And yet we are still more efficient (GDP per capita), perhaps you should change and enjoy the prosperity?

Edit to add: Sorry Spyder, should have read your post first.

sdaniel, spyder7723 and spsauerland Thank this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Netherlands
    I'm sure we will do that. Replacing a highly developed system of units based on the latest scientific knowledge, by a system of arbitrary units that dates from Roman times. Excellent idea. You should be in the science committee of the US congress.
    Keep on believing that, never try to find out how the rest of the world is looking at your society, and you will be fine.

10. Caesar

Caesar Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Netherlands
    And you also have the highest debt per capita.
    You live to work, in Europe we work to live. We don't need three or four cars on the driveway (if we have a driveway), no huge TV's in every room. We like to go on holiday, meet people in other countries, and so on.

11. Caesar

Caesar Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Netherlands
    Great idea using customary units for scientific work!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.