Why do so many Americans hate European trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by snowbird_89, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I did you one better. I measured from the top of my thighs to steering wheel in my regular position and again with air completely dumped. 4 inches.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    I don't want to disrupt the tiff between you guys by stating facts, but I will anyway.

What you see thru the windshield depends a lot on how tall you are.
    If you're short, you naturally will set the seat closer to the windshield so you can reach the pedals, which also gives you a greater field of view by placing your eyes closer to the windshield.
    A tall person sits with the seat further back so their knees don't hit the dashboard, which reduces their forward field of view, it becomes narrower.
    A short person has to raise the seat to see over the dash, where a tall person has to lower the seat to see under those big stupid visors that a short person sitting with their face against the windshield isn't so badly affected by.
    The more junk you have on your dashboard and the bigger the visor, the less you see, unless you're 5'2" and sit with your seat all the way forward, in which case you will see more.

4. Caesar

Caesar Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Netherlands
    I see. Polish people have telescopic necks, so they can move their heads higher. Or do you mean lift your head upwards? You would do that on the highway, because on the highway you will look at the horizon. In the city you would be looking on the road in front of you. Your posting is so silly, that I'm not going to spend more time on explaining basic geometry to you.

5. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    You saying it’s hard for him to see anything with his head up his ###?

6. Caesar

Caesar Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Netherlands
    We Europeans were way ahead of you a long time ago when it comes to optimal vision. Look at this picture from a famous vehicle built by the German truck manufacturer Henschel:

optimal vision.jpg

7. nevesu

nevesu Heavy Load Member

May 2, 2011
    You never drive a car with seat in almost vertical position. It's always tilted backwards (more or less). Fine for highway, but once you have to manouver/park you just move a bit forward, taking your back off the backrest of chair. And this way your head is higher. Paniemajesz? That's why comparing pictures is just stupid.

sdaniel, MartinFromBC, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  8. nevesu

nevesu Heavy Load Member

May 2, 2011
    Look what your Dutch friends sell .. lowered seat base for Daf XF, because it's stupidly high. This way you ride lower, and still can use air in seat.

Lowered seatbase for DAF XF

It seems like truckers from Europe and America have same problems, your Dutch collegaues solve them (because they are good in modyfing trucks, true), but you still try to prove how Daf doesn't need those improevments. stupid

sdaniel, Oxbow, spsauerland and 2 others Thank this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Why do you always have to be so disagreeable? What's really stupid is your dumb ### has never even sat in the cab of a truck so you dont even know what you're talking about. There's countless different ways to move one's head and body to look around in mirrors and over a hood not to mention adjustments that can be made to the seat. Years ago when I used to drop my seat down on the floor I would air it up whenever the traffic situations in urban areas had me on high alert. Out on endless rural open stetches of highway I never really had to.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    sdaniel, MartinFromBC, Oxbow and 7 others Thank this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I'm not sure where you are from but from your post it sounds like you've never been inside a long hood American truck. Only an extremely short person would need to slide the seat up to reach the peddles. My seat is kept as far back as it can go without rubbing the cabinet behind it.

sdaniel, Oxbow and spsauerland Thank this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    761E9879-843B-4C9A-8316-3C511E6C4BBC.jpeg

Daf wasn’t here........

sdaniel, Oxbow, Humblepie and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.