Why do so many Americans hate European trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by snowbird_89, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caesar

Caesar Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Netherlands
    You never cease to amaze me with your silly remarks. Not too long ago I posted a contribution where I wrote that over here truck drivers can get specially adapted seats on the prescription of specialized doctors. That can mean a lower seat base, or if you're 7 feet tall a higher seat base. It can also mean a seat specially build for you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Caesar

Caesar Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Netherlands
    No, DAF started building trucks after WWII, and this is a design pre-dating WWII.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  5. nevesu

nevesu Heavy Load Member

May 2, 2011
    Nobody does that for real, most of new trucks are sold in Europe from stock. Same spec for everyone. What I posted is not ment specially for tall/small people it's for everyone, because driving position in most trucks is stupidly high. Cars also, I hate that.

sdaniel, Oxbow, Humblepie and 3 others Thank this.
  6. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    my father drive for 50years, almost all construction trucks , always on springs. he drive now 1987 truck, its design is of course not comparable with new ones + everything is worn out. almost all trucks were on springs.
    he never had back problems. why?

his brother was driving school instructor in army and he told him how to sit.

he sits upright at 90degrees not 100. seat is high enough that his entire part of leg above knee (dont know english name) sits on seat, his leg always touch floor just as much as it have to be and thereby he transfer some weight on floor instead on ###, seat cushion is tilted slightly forward. seat is moved forward he is very close to steering wheel and his shoulders remain back.

when he dont drive he sits on ### and shoulders everything in between is in air, he dont know how to handle weight when lifting something heavy and still dont have problems with back.

larger problem is to sit after him in car, my back start to hurt in his position. he says same for my seat

sdaniel, nevesu, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  7. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    one of worst positions to sit is in w176, after 30min lower part of back start to hurt.
    new w177 is very good, even with amg line, most i have spend driving it was 7hours, i dod not feel anything

Oxbow and daf105paccar Thank this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Heavy haul day cab....... hint no Mx .

9. nevesu

nevesu Heavy Load Member

May 2, 2011
    Exactly, I'm not driving with "safe" position either, best experience for me is older BMW, low seat, double backrest adjustment, feels great to drive for hours.

98989 and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    I'm from Canada, currently retired, started driving in 1972, I've driven lots of American trucks with long hoods, most are built for short people, under six feet tall.

spyder7723 and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Are you talking about 359's, 379's without unibilt and older W900's without an integral sleeper? With an integral sleeper on a KW anyone over 6' tall should be able to comfortably drive it. I'm 6' tall and didn't have my seat anywhere near all the way back in mine. Never driven one but a 379 unibilt should have plenty of room for taller drivers.

Oxbow, spyder7723 and Humblepie Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.