Why do so many Americans hate European trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by snowbird_89, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    How old is his mother in law?

Scania man Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    i think 87-88

4. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    I sympathise with him.

5. UltraZero

UltraZero Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Why do Americans hate European trucks??

Well, IMO, I think there are 2 issues to discuss.

1. Many years ago, there was a length limitation on cabs, so there were many cab overs in the US. After which
    the size of tractors got larger. We became accustomed to larger trucks.

2. I don't know about Europe, but here in the US, companies force drivers to live in their trucks for long periods of time without giving drivers time to be at home. So, the solution is to create a larger truck with more living space. (not much more)

Because we have more space in the US trucks, we look at the European trucks as being small. Again, I'm not sure, but, maybe the Europeans don't intend drivers to live in these trucks like the US drivers do.

Also, Euro trucks are small because the roads existed before trucks did so the trucks have to accommodate small roads and not like here where it's the opposite.

6. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    US trucks are longer but there is a lot of wasted space on them, European trucks are not as small as you think, I'd like them to be longer to have more room in the cab but in reality the only US trucks with more living space are large 70" condo sleepers , yep euro boys spend long periods of time away and the cabs are fine for 1 driver but not great for two as they suffer from lack of storage, cabs are usually approx 86" long, 96" high and 96" wide

7. deming807

deming807 Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Summit IL
    96" from wall to wall, inside?

8. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Here's another reason...

When length laws were standardized in the US, many companies still stuck with cabovers for two reasons: cost and weight. This means they were ordered as light and cheap as possible. So, the average US driver's experience with cabover trucks is that they're cramped, noisy, rough-riding, underpowered, cheaply-built pieces of junk. This is what they think of when they see a cabover of any type.

Now as far as I'm concerned, those Scanias look totally cool, and I wouldn't mind giving one a shot. But they'd have to spec them for American regulations and overcome a LOT of prejudice from American drivers and owners. They'd likely have to sell a bunch at a loss, for quite a while, just to get people to try them.

Sad, really...but that's the way it is.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  9. deming807

deming807 Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Summit IL
    same with conventional trucks. Most companies buy cheapest config possible, weak engines, cheap 10sp gearboxes, etc. As for me, I would't buy any super advanced cabover simply because there is no hood: I dont like the idea to turn up side down the cab each time I need something near engine. :)

10. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Approximately, cabs on trucks like daf xf and actros are the full width of the truck

deming807 Thanks this.
  11. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    who make seats on american trucks? and are they any simpler than european?

did not have any more important work last days so .....(actually this is something i kept putting off last half year because i knew how it will be)

spend a day making one seat from 3 .it is isringhausen two from mercedes one from man, but from different generations and different models and not too many things fit

-my had broken backrest(it was fixed in one position in last months), it was hard to move it forward , also had some clearance but not too much

-one for man did not work at all and was missing half parts but ,use it as source for parts

-3rd one is basically good except left rail was bent , but somebody was stripping parts from it many little things were missing, and installation was connected wrong , or not connected/missing lines , if connected properly than air lines were damaged because they were too short and were damaged by mechanical parts , also air devices were missing,and springs.....
    but seat is nice , don´t have clearance have original mercedes upholstery not damaged not dirty ,airbags in backrest are not leaking,have heating,it can make two different angles on seat something like scania have(did not see this before in mb) , can move seating surface forward

i wonder if they ever considered repair would be needed,i know seat should be replaced every 5years ...but still

this is so complicated and all crammed together, you cannot approach with any tool ,other two seats are bit simpler (they have less functions)
    i spent half hour screw one air line. angle was so small that could only move with spanner of how much is head of spanner to its handle(maybe 20°) and than rotate it for 180 and again

when assemble it, i lost one spring inside and could not find it for one hour ,

in my family usually i am one who deals with such things, my father don´t touch things which cant be fixed with sledgehammer, he claim he don´t see good , brother don´t have good nerves for such things

king Q Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.