Why do so many Americans hate European trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by snowbird_89, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    no , only heater for ignition, my mercedes dont have even this it is like russian orthodox technics-what does not exist, can not be broken

water webasto which can heat engine block is 9.5kw and more expensive so most trucks have 2 or 4kw air-air for cab only

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Ahh but Cat then you also not in a typical situation.
    If i understand correctly ,you are home most nights,like me.
    And i replaced my batteries also before they died,meaning they were still working but i did not trust them to last a 6° winter.

From what i read ,most 12v trucks have new batteries every 2 y.

Nothing to heat the engineblock in this area.
    I will have on my next truck but that has to do with the emmissions.(maybe i will even look into buying one with plug in)

Northern trucks have winterspecs.Webasto block heater and plug in.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    when starters with planetary gear (COPG) appeared - no big difference 12 ore 24V system. I have MT42, but MT44 and bosch reduction starters crank so well that if engine oil is frozen they brake ringears

Schwinder Thanks this.
  5. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    I was talking to the vp at one company I worked at about putting those webastos or something similar on the day cabs we had to cut idle time at the docks around town when it was really hot or cold out. He decided that running them all night wouldn't work since the models we were looking at would only run for 8 hours or so without starting the truck again so the drivers wouldn't be able to take their 10 hour break. In day cabs. I think something in my brain broke at that point.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
  6. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan

I've often run them 20 hrs+ without a problem

7. Icee

Icee Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Finland

Watter webasto with 20+ hrs sounds a bit like pushing it to the limit even with the heater just idling.

or was it one of those Hair blower units? :D

8. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Seems to me I realised why do Americans do not like EU trucks.... Answer is simple. in Europe lenth limits forse everyone to cabovers, becouse they use bumper to bumper lenth limit and they concider it to be limitation of freedom)))) really. Other bad news for US trucker in Europe, that 8-class trucks are 55 mph speed governed! and Europeans use electronic tachographs for many years, it is not simple log book u fill! any working time violation may be inspected for last 28 days.

Good news in Europe - more liberal weight limits, generally 40000 kg gross weight, and more load per axle, thats why they use 4x2 trucktors

9. Schwinder

Schwinder Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    Europeans believe more in efficiency, objective is to get maximum out of machine within its safe limits moreover responsibly while caring for the air pollution.

10. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Euro politicians believe in that, the trucking community believe in effiency because of the ridiculous price of fuel which is the biggest cost they have now, that's why haulers keep upgrading to new trucks, a friend of mine has an old Scania 530 and a new 560, it's actually cheaper to run the new 560 despite the fact the old 530 has no finance and that's not taking maintenance into account

98989 and Schwinder Thank this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    What is the price of fuel over there these days......?

I'm paying $4.19 a gallon..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.