Why Do Some Drivers Have A Problem With Bikers?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by skooter, May 4, 2008.

1. skooter

skooter Bobtail Member

May 4, 2008
    PA
    Ok, so I'm not a driver, but I have logged a lot of saddle time on the interstates. I'm not a 1%er so please don't lump us all together. My Harley is equipped with a CB so I hear a lot of chatter. I always try to be courteous with with big trucks, you know, bear reports and stuff, road hazards. So maybe somebody can explain to me the ignorance and animosity that a lot (not all) of drivers show toward bikers. Couple of points: What is the problem drivers have with bikes traveling slowly down the breakdown lane to get past a back-up? Had it happen multiple times around Chicago on 80. Drivers actually tried to block me from going by, by pulling their rigs onto the shoulder. Guys getting pissed on the CB. Once on 70 in PA, I heard a few making comments like "hey, somebody ought to shoot out his tires." I only have 2. I also have a PA carry permit. Certainly didn't hear anybody else telling 'em, "Hey that ain't right" or "that ain't funny". I Didn't think it was funny then and still don't. Kept my mouth shut, cuz I didn't feel like getting run over. Here's a hint. If you see a bike with 2 antennas on it, that's good sign the rider could probably be listening to the crap you're talking about him or her. Sorry folks, that crap ain't no joke these days. Here's the deal. I'm guessing some of you ride Harleys, so maybe I'm telling you something you already know. A Harley is air-cooled. So I can't sit in a traffic jam and bop along at walking speed for a few miles. The bike overheats. Especially in August in Illinois. So my choices are to 1: Put my e flashers on and ride the shoulder to get past the jam up. 2: Hang out in the back-up in 1st gear, slipping the clutch and walking the bike til it overheats and I end up, yes, on the shoulder.3: Pull over onto, yup, you guessed it, the shoulder and hope the back-up clears sometime in the next month. Which do you think I choose? Sorry for going on so long.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Skoot, I feel for yah. I really do.

But let me make one thing clear, here. Truckers don't have problems with bikers (except individuals - can't control that). Truckers have problems with STUPID DRIVERS.

Sorry to say, option one is flatly illegal, 18 wheels, 4 wheels, 2 wheels or just one. A little rational thought might tell you why. Sure, there's some jealousy involved on the part of the trucker, but mostly it's a fair bit of irritation at seeing another stupid driver on the roadway.

Your correct choice is Option 2, until you get to an exit where you can then make use of surface roads.

Or, Option 3, but bring along a sandwich and some kool-aid, and a book.

And yes, I've put a few miles on a unicycle built for two, so I'm familiar with the problems.

4. skooter

skooter Bobtail Member

May 4, 2008
    PA
    I'm not really asking for a legal ruling. I'll take my chances with the law. The only part of your reply that was pertinent was the jealousy part. As far as stupidity goes, it would surely be stupid to damage my bike if I could avoid it. If my "stupidity" has zero effect on a driver, why be concerned? And for option 3, be serious. Everybody has time constraints. I'm not retired. From what I've heard about Chicago, the traffic is always backed up there. What book should I bring? Encyclopedia Britannica?

5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I myself ride and I always look out for bikes. What most drivers probably have a problem with is the rat race. It is not just against bikes. It is cars, big trucks etc. 4 wheelers are always trying to cut in front because they are more important than a stupid ole truck driver. Most drivers probably figure I have to wait why are they so special? If you listen to that CB you will hear where drivers read the sign right lane ends and yet they still go down it thinking they can cut over at the last minute. When you are at a check out line in a store would it bother you if someone walked by you because they did not have a cart and had a little basket they was carrying? Same principle, just because they are smaller doesn't give them special rights. Not to mention a lot of times emergency crews need that shoulder to get to the victims.

roadtime549 Thanks this.
  6. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Hey, everyone else is sitting there and they all have time constraints too. Just because your bike would over heat if you left it running doesn't grant you the right to run on the shoulder. And your answer reveals the stupidity factor mentioned by Lurch. Driving down the shoulder isn't only illegal, but unsafe. You don't know what's up ahead of you and you might not find out until it's too late. Also, as already mentioned, many times emergency vehicles have to use that lane in the event of an accident.

Now, I will also gladly add that those driver's who talk trash on the CB and make mention of doing harm (shooting out tires) are morons and should be dealt with as such.

7. rambler

rambler Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Cars doing the shoulder thing, I have a problem with. Bikes..no. I have never (to the best of my memory :biggrin_25523:) seen a truck block out a scooter travelling the shoulder. Maybe you were following a car or maybe a car was following you on the shoulder and in an attempt to stop the car you were a victim too? In any event I will ask you (like you asked us) not to be lumped into the 1% of bad truckers whom it takes years to forget.

8. BullGoose

BullGoose Light Load Member

May 2, 2008
    New Effington, SD
    Lots of drivers also own bikes. Even more drivers subscribe to the idea that "if I ain't going anywhere, nobody should be going anywhere". I know that a number of states allow lane splitting and riding down the shoulder when done a safe speeds by motorcycles. The problem is that knee-jerk reaction that someone is getting away with something that I cannot. It is not sensible. It is not polite. It is not reasonable.

It IS a fact. Try to understand the schmuck in the truck is frustrated because he can't get down the road. Try to be forgiving of him because you can, in fact, get down the road. And be careful, there are a lot of knuckleheads out there no matter how many wheels they are rolling on.

9. skooter

skooter Bobtail Member

May 4, 2008
    PA
    I guess my point is that no matter how you look at it, I end up in the E lane. If I over heat, I'm sitting there not moving, blocking the E lane. Same if I pull over to wait for the back-up to clear. Not moving. Blocking the E lane. At least if I'm rolling, the lane is clear. I'm not doing it cuz I feel special, but out of necessity.

10. robh2

robh2 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Maryland
    My issue is I grew up with a guy and a biker going down the shoulder like you are describing hit him as a child when he jumped out to pee in the woods. I almost had my door taken off by a car one time. I was in the left lane, opened the door to step out and stretch like some of the other drivers and a car drove down in the median and just missed me and my door. Partly my fault since I did not look but I never thought of looking for cars or bikes where they should not be.

I dont want to argue whats a better bike, but if you have a bike that cant sit in traffic like any other dependable vehicle, you might want to look at a better bike. Would you put up with your car if it overheated everytime you were in traffic, no you would not. I dont care if it is a Harley. Why settle for that in your bike. It is much safer and responsible to pull over on the shoulder just like a car would when they have car trouble. You might have to move it if a rescue vehicle comes, but at least they are not coming to rescue you or someone you injured.

Rather it effects me directly or not, I dont like it if you are doing something illegal period. If breaking little laws are not a problem, then it is not much of a step to progress to breaking larger laws. In CA it is legal to ride a bike between cars. I have had 2 mirrows taken out by bikes that way. I cant believe that is legal.

Robert

11. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    This just shows how screwed up CA is. Bikes can ride in the middle of lanes during a back up, but truckers can't keep their trucks cool/warm inside while they're taking there FEDERALLY REQUIRED breaks.

roadtime549 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.