Why do truckers use linear amplilfiers with their CB radios?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by drobsan, Jun 12, 2009.

1. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016
    yes he is ......

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016
    Reason for edit: Last name removed from quote
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bored silly

Jul 1, 2016
    he just can't spell Ontario....

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Like many "techs" Chris H is an excellent troubleshooter and repairman, but doesn't have a clue about tuning a rig.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016
    Reason for edit: Last name removed
  5. Donny dxer

Donny dxer Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Ontario California there a tech that can tune up a radio hee hee

6. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Justin Depolis of F.G Best Communications did a decent tune. Unfortunately he is strung out on heroin at the moment.

7. bored silly

Jul 1, 2016
    wow just the kinda tech you want working on your radio..... most of the so called techs are not strung out on dope. but the work they do they might as well be....lmao

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. TheVapingTrucker

TheVapingTrucker Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2017
    You sir, and your elitist BS are what give ham radio operators a bad name. Yes you studied to get your ticket. Big deal. I have mine too. The difference between you and I is I don't troll trucking related msg boards looking for a reason to talk smack about CB operators and wave my pecker around showing the world how much bigger it is. This splattering of information you spewwed out is nothing more then you trying to prove how much better then someone else you are. However you seemed to miss the fact that you came off like an arogant prick with a bunch of technical know how. Who gives a ratsass? The internet is an awesome tool. I don't have to rely on douchebags like you to show me how to do something. So sit back behind your keyboard and mic and rethink your life. Soon it will be over, CBs and truckers will continue to do what they do and you, well who the hell are you anyway? Nobody. Get over yourself.

9. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    You quoted a post from 2009...he has toned down the elitism since.

Diesel Dave and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  10. Redneck Hillbilly

Redneck Hillbilly Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Wow, after reading this thread from start to finish I see that not much has changed even though I haven't had a radio on in many years.
    One thing that it seems many ignore is the fact that it doesn't matter wether it's ham or CBers, there are always the jerks within.
    I have seen a lot of information on here and alot of disinformation on here.
    So, no matter (lol) it seems it hasn't changed at all.
    Yes, you have the good ham operators..... they are the ones you hardly ever hear anything from. And when you do...... it pays to listen because they aren't there to degrade you.
    And yes, there are CBers that are the same way.
    But, in my opinion CB or ham, these guys are few and far between.

I will agree though that many don't understand how to set up their CB's.
    If they would set them up correctly it would make a major difference.

At one time I had twin whips on a 79 F-150. They worked rather well. But at the same time I used an antenna switch box so I could turn one off most of the time.
    I won't go into the purpose of that in detail only because I don't feel like typing that much. But, I will say that twin antennas set to close together does make them somewhat directional.
    My point still stands, as others on this thread have said, you need to understand your system.
    Do some research. Google is a very useful tool. You can find information on anything you want to do with your radio from people that have already put the blood, sweat, tears, and money into figuring it out.

All in all a balanced system will do more for less.
    I always went with the whip because of durability, especially when off reading. But if you stay on road, I can't cut the Wilson's with the center load. They do a real good job and when properly tuned out preform the whip at highway speeds because they don't lay back.

As for talking skip without an amp and from a mobile, I have talked from WV to Alabama. And was lucky enough for everything to stay in place so I could have a half hour conversation.
    I have also used my base with a tube type modulator to drive my sweet 16 to modulate about 1800 and talk to Nova Scotia and Australia when the skip was rolling.
    Power or not, there are conditions that have to be in place before you can talk/shoot skip. The power just makes it work better when the conditions are not favorable enough for a stock radio.
    And yes, when I had my sweet 16, I had it filtered to keep me out of the tv's, telephones, and such. But that didn't eliminate channel splatter. I would love to be able to run about 2kw and it be restricted to the frequency I was on. But I'm not gonna get that elaborate with my system. That would require way more than I'm willing to put into it. Yes, I mean time of working on assembly rather than the money it would take to purchase the parts.
    No matter, I am thinking about hooking my old RCI 2950 (I know, it seems many don't like them) back up in the house and in the Jeep just to see if I can tolerate the wannabes so I can have some decent conversations on it again.

Take care & keep safe
    Pyro
    North Central West Virginia

11. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I'd love to see a picture of a center loaded Wilson antenna. In all my travels I've never seen one. I always assumed I was the only person on the planet that made a center loaded antenna with a shaft the same length or longer than the whip itself.
    [​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.