Why do truckers use linear amplilfiers with their CB radios?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by drobsan, Jun 12, 2009.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    What does it sound like with an amplifier? If the amplifier changes how your radio sounds, there must be a problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Because some of us want to have our friends three states away say “man, I hear you taking everyone out on channel 28. All the local base stations are trying to get to you right now.”

4. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Sounds more beefy. More balls. Not a problem, an advantage.

5. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Distortion impresses the guys in the parking lot but fades out when I get 5 miles down the road.
    Meanwhile I can still hear the guy with the stock cobra 29 parked next to you complaining about "the guy with the big radio". ( which I'm unable to hear )
    More balls up close = no balls in the distance.

6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Strange, when I get out far from another station, and I turn my amp on, they can hear me better. Maybe I need to sell my stuff and get a stock cobra 29.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Maybe your stuff works properly. 90% of the guys out there who are unwilling to put effort into the antenna system, think an amplifier is a cure for their laziness.

8. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA

Your anecdotal stories are charming but stock radios sound mickey mouse to me. I'll take my Stryker thanks

shogun Thanks this.
  9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    All of my stuff works well. I confirm it on a swr meter and a bird reflect, and start talking. My super whack pack General Lee is still all original minus a cold solder joint repair, and amps are all original transistors.

rabbiporkchop and Timin770 Thank this.
  10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Not everyone can be helped. Some folks deliberately sacrifice performance for the sake of vanity. Those folks who like to waste money at the expense of decreased range have no business offering "advice" to someone asking for advice or who doesn't have a clue about how to achieve decent range from a truck for the least amount of money.
    Everybody is entitled to waste their own money though.

11. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Rebbe, no one is disputing “what makes for best performance?”

Where to start, is the problem.

And timin770, it’s also not with a 500W Texas Star. Today’s trucks aren’t like those of 1987. Going straight to the battery on the negative can screw up diagnostics the ECM is trying to read.

Then sufficiently oversized power leads — with BLUE SEA termination fuses — that take into account the voltage drop of connections, etc. Routing is long, thus pinch point problems.

$100 isn’t even a starting price for the materials.

IOW, it’s the same problem as a custom install. Expertise. And a real threat to the truck with even one mistake.

Outline your recommendation with what is “proper” per www.K0BG.com. And routing.

What gear is a starter for anything? This question has answers that are effective.

Have to start somewhere.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.