Why do truckers use linear amplilfiers with their CB radios?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by drobsan, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA

I actually think our esteemed colleague Rabbi has the right ideas, attitude and motivation to do things as near perfect as possible.

My point is that unless you own the vehicle and/or the company, you may not have the ability, authorization or time to make modifications. Therefore, compromises must be made. You can imagine how upset a business owner might be if a driver comes to him with a fried ECM on his Peterbilt. The compromises don't make a driver "lazy", they keep him employed.

In my case since Im now a part-timer
    doing a couple weekend runs per month, I have to choose portability over perfection. Not long ago I had to drive a rig to Miami and hop a plane home, and I didnt want to have to bundle up a radio antenna and wiring into my carry-on.

What i usually do now if I know Im not going to be on a plane is velcro my Stryker 655 to the dash and clamp a 5' Francis to the mirror and get power from the cigar lighter. Not perfect but sufficient for my needs. This is simply what I do, but it reinforces my position that every driver's situation and needs are different. I have little interest in long distance communication. I simply use the radio for travel talk and a little extra kick gives me a commanding sound that cannot be ignored.

shogun, Slowmover1 and Meteorgray Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I agree about the Rebbe. He’s willing to help.

Your cigar lighter power “might” be upgraded with a HD version (they exist) and a Navone Noise Filter (see JesseJamesDallas on that).

And have look at the TAC COMM TRC-1 to hold that rig. Your situation perfect.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  4. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I’ve never had an issue running things bigger than a Texas Star 500 in company stuff with minimal grounding. I usually run both hot and negative to the battery, even if it’s 13 feet to be there, and wire loom it. I run class C stuff typically since I like AM, and since they are more efficient.

I think the key with my Class C stuff is the output tune is good that I get less than one percent reflect even with minimal grounding so it doesn’t affect the ecm with so little coming back or radiating. If there was an issue, an rf choke would end that. I just run my ground either to the battery frame ground or to the same post the frame ground is on. When I am running bigger power I ground to the frame. I’ve never popped a transistor following these guidelines.

5. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA

Yeah I run a filter on the cigar lighter plug. I dont worry about starvation too much since I seldom run full power.

Rabbi is a valuable asset here for folks who want to take it to his level. On that issue there can be no debate

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  6. Burnt out Radio

Burnt out Radio Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2019

7. Burnt out Radio

Mar 23, 2019
    This is because they are using 1 watt straight up, with a ground vertical, skipping back . Useless if you drive a truck.

8. Burnt out Radio

Mar 23, 2019
    This is because they are using ground verticals shooting straight up. Useless for trucks.

9. YMItrucking

YMItrucking Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2016
    I run a 102" whip with 5" extension on a 2019 Cascadia. So some guys do run whips, but very few of them.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The Cascadia is one of the few trucks where that would be the ideal antenna.

YMItrucking Thanks this.
  11. YMItrucking

YMItrucking Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2016
    Yeah, I got lucky. When I'm sitting still, the antenna is 13' 4", but when I'm at speed, its 14' 8"....enough to get it over the trailer although not "legal" per se'. Lol

Slowmover1 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.