Why do truckers use linear amplilfiers with their CB radios?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by drobsan, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    I'm pretty sure you won't have to have complaints against you to get a visit if you're clogging military communications. That's a good wakeup for anyone living near a military base.

SemperFubar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Correct,optimal performance is still achieved by wiring to the main hot lead at the fuse panel and running a chassis ground near by.
    You can wire a 2 pill box in a FL Columbia in about 15 mins,yes fusing is mandatory as with all power.When properly installed it takes all of 5 min or less to remove all traces in a fleet vehicle.:biggrin_25525:

4. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    I live very near a Major Air force installation,I dont have any issues
    blowing "smoke" up their chimneys :biggrin_25523:
    Plenty of them "Big Base Stations" running as well,most are "Ham-Ops"
    doing what most do and that is talk on whatever/whenever:biggrin_25525:
    On the ham bands they act like "Ham-Op's" otherwise you would think they were garden variety "CB base/Super Trucker" agitators.

outerspacehillbilly Thanks this.
  5. Carolina Thunder

Carolina Thunder Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Coeburn V.A.
    Because CB shops tell all of these stupid truckers that it will make them the big dog in the truck stop! When i say stupid trucker i mean that people that do not know any better.....i my self was a stupid trucker till i learned that CB shops dont give a #### about us. The only thing that matters to them is our money and not how good or bad our radios setups sound!

An amp is not meant to make you louder,it is to make you get out better to stations far away. If it does make you louder then it is because the cb tech that tuned your radio was a fool and did it half azzed so you just wasted your money for nothing........and thats all that matters to them!

SemperFubar Thanks this.
  6. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Tater: I meant if you're on their channels, I imagine retribution may be swift because they have to have those channels clear. I would imagine that would be a national security issue, but it's possible that they use other means of comming sensitive material these days. I know when I was in the Coast Guard, they were very defensive of their channels, even though the public is allowed to call them there.

7. LeadFootLarry

LeadFootLarry Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2009
    chattanooga, tn.
    WOW...This thread was very informative, and i truly learned something...and that something is......... I NEED MORE POWER !!!

SemperFubar Thanks this.
  8. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Driving through the Akron area this afternoon I was getting a lot of bleed on 19... to the point that it was pegging me. I discovered the offenders on 17 holding a discussion about tools/welders. Politely interrupted and informed them they were bleeding 19 badly. Response was an apology and they moved down to 6.

How much different would the response have been if I started ranting about amps and the FCC.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
    SemperFubar Thanks this.
  9. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State

Much different, however just because they were bleeding over that bad doesn't mean they were running power. They could just have really hacked up radios which can cause the same thing.

10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I seen a official black van going towards nashville on 24 a few weeks ago. This thing had a bunch of antennas on it. I looked down and all I could see was all kinds of high tech stuff in it. I never have seen anything like it. Had maybe 20 + antennas on it. Don't know if it was something to do with the FCC or not. Any ideas?

11. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    True, bleed doesnt mean power but pegging my meter for about 5 miles was a pretty good indication, not gonna do that with 4 watts. ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.