Why do you keep trucking?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by sano, Jun 30, 2008.

1. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    For me it is the adventure. I like to be on the move. I don't like being cooped up in a building. I have been on and off the road so much I have lost track, but I always end up back in a truck. It is hard to have a taste of it and then do something else. In the back of my mind after a time off the road I start to think about going back. My wife knows when I get that way because she will say go ahead and do it. You know you won't be happy till your back out there doing it. I don't even have to tell her I am thinking about it again. She knows from just being with me all these years.

I like not knowing what the next load will be or where it will take me or should I say where I will take it? When I work local I never have any pocket change. Seems the wife always pays the bills and takes care of things. Out here I have direct deposit, but take out cash when I fuel. So I got cash to operate on rather than writing a check or using a credit card. There are a lot of things I don't like about the way trucking has changed in the last 20 years, but you can take a driver out of a truck, but you can't take the trucker out of the driver.:biggrin_2559:

Peanut Butter and panhandlepat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Thats I-90
    But if I am that close to home, I drive home lol.
    I live in Jamestown NY

4. ghostchild

ghostchild Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Good question...why do you keep trucking?
    I've tried to get out of it many times myself...anyone who has read my posts know that...but I got fortunate and found a local route where I'm home daily...

But back to your question...trucking is a specific trade, skill...it doesnt translate well over to other jobs...many keep trucking cause thats their, our skill...the one skill we excell at...
    some keep trucking for the love of it...others for the pay...

I would eventually like to start my own business...or just win the lottery and buy 40 acres of land somewhere and live in a cabin next to a lake...but until then you have to do what you have to do to pay the bills...

5. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

Funny thing is...If I hit the lottery tomorrow I'd just buy a new truck and trailer and continue doing this 'cause It's the thing I love doing the most and I'm ###### good at it!

6. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    I started driving because it was something i wanted to do, and for the most part i could make more money than most people made at minimum wage, plus just having fun driving a truck of some kind.

7. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I drive truck because I'm too smart to do anything else. And if you think I'm being sarcastic, think again. Trucking is the only job I've ever had were the "boss" leaves me alone to do my job, rather than standing on top of me all the danged time making sure I do everything I'm supposed to, even though I've done the same job day in and day out without any issues.

8. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Its a unique job in that if you find the right company you can become invisible.

As long as you are not late or crash the rig....you will never be bothered by the company itself.

Its a perfect setup for those that like to be by themselves

9. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    Because I ain't got nothing better to do.

10. eckz

eckz <strong>"Radio Rambo"</strong>

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    I'm the same way. As much as some of it sucks you have to admit, it kinda gets in your blood. After i left TMC i went back to working in a steel plant, and it's nowhere near as pleasant as it was before I started driving.. I like the freedom and the fact that it's always something different, I like meeting new people and seeing the sights.

I'll be getting back into trucking, but this time it's going to be on my terms (buying a truck).

11. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    While I agree with Joe White's opinions as quoted here, I am convinced that most drivers will have already lost their business, lost their homes, declared bankruptcy, or just plain lost the stamina needed to fight this losing battle! As an individual, I dont have the resources saved up to weather the storm the way the big companies do. My company has roughly 3500 drivers working for them, I only have 1! And it's REAL hard to drive a truck when so many are working day and nite to handicap me!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.